Steeple Morden War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Steeple Morden War Memorial
List entry Number: 1439069
Churchyard of the Church of St Peter and St Paul, Hay Street, Steeple Morden, Cambridgeshire, SG8 0NJ
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Cambridgeshire
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Steeple Morden
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 31-Oct-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial by Jeffrey Lucas unveiled on 12 December 1920.
Reasons for Designation
Steeple Morden War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an ornate and striking memorial cross surmounting an elegant polygonal plinth and base; * Group value: with the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Steeple Morden as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Steeple Morden War Memorial was designed by Jeffrey Lucas and constructed by W Whitehead of Royston. It was dedicated on Sunday 12 December 1920 and unveiled by Lieutenant Colonel E C M Phillips DSO.
The memorial was conserved in 2009 with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
MATERIALS: Ketton stone with flint panels.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a small medieval cross rising from a tapering octagonal shaft. The shaft is mounted on a polygonal plinth, itself surmounting a polygonal base with flint panels.
The inscriptions are carved in relief and read: STEEPLE MORDEN/ IN HONOUR OF THOSE/ WHO FOUGHT & IN/ MEMORY OF THOSE/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919.
The left and right panels either side of this inscription are both headed by the word FALLEN followed by the names of those who fell.
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/121638
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/865
War Memorials Trust, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=883
National Grid Reference: TL2860142495
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439069 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2018 at 10:16:29.
End of official listing