Martin War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1439202
Date first listed:
31-Oct-2016
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Holy Trinity Church, High Street, Martin, Lincolnshire, LN4 3QY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Martin War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439202.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 11:20:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Holy Trinity Church, High Street, Martin, Lincolnshire, LN4 3QY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Martin
National Grid Reference:
TF1211259952

Summary

First World War memorial, by Tuttell and Sons of Lincoln, unveiled 9 April 1921, with further names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Martin War Memorial by M Tuttell and Sons of Lincoln is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an ornate and striking cross with carved decorative details; * Group value: with the Holy Trinity Church (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Martin as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The masons were Messrs M Tuttell and Sons of Lincoln and the total cost was £160. The unveiling ceremony took place on Saturday 9 April 1921, commencing with a service in the church conducted by the vicar, the Revd Howard Charles Gibbons Robertson. The unveiling was carried out by Capt Reginald Herbert Spooner (1880-1961) of the Manor House, Metheringham who was acting as a representative for Lord Londesborough of nearby Blankney Hall.

Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that war were also added.

In 2006 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.

Details

MATERIALS: Ancaster limestone.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of the Holy Trinity. It consists of a medieval cross on an octagonal shaft with a carved decorative collar and base. The shaft rises from an octagonal plinth and a three-stepped square base.

The plinth is inscribed on three sides with lead lettering and a low relief shield carved at each corner. The four shields have individual low relief texts on them, namely PRO PATRIA, PRO REGE, PRO DEO and PRO RECTO.

The First World War inscription reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF MARTIN/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

A later dedication to the fallen of the Second World War reads: WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/103597
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20456
War Memorials Trust, accessed 21 August 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=566
Other
Martin War Memorial, Lincolnshire Chronicle,16 April 1921

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].