Great Barrow War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1439331
Date first listed:
02-Dec-2016
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Bartholomew, Mill Lane, Great Barrow, Cheshire, CH3 7JF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Great Barrow War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:34:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Bartholomew, Mill Lane, Great Barrow, Cheshire, CH3 7JF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barrow
National Grid Reference:
SJ4694268295

Summary

First World War memorial, by Haswell and Son of Kaleyards, Chester and unveiled on 17 July 1920, with further names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Great Barrow War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant wheel-head cross with carved decorative details; * Group value: with the Church of St Bartholomew (Grade II*), churchyard gates (Grade II) and a medieval cross remains, now a sundial, in the churchyard (Grade II and a scheduled monument).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Great Barrow as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was funded by voluntary contributions, the cost amounting to £190. The work was carried out by Haswell and Son of Kaleyards, Chester. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 17 July 1920, by Major Harry Barnston MP (who also unveiled Farndon war memorial in November 1919), and dedicated by the rector, Rev T Jenkins. ‘The church was filled to the doors...then followed a most impressive service.’ The cross was unveiled from beneath the drape of a Union Jack and the national anthem along with a number of hymns were sung. The Last Post and Reveille were sounded by buglers from the Cheshire Regiment.

Following the Second World War, the names of three men who fell in that war were added to the west facing side the plinth.

Details

MATERIALS: sandstone memorial and bronze plaques.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located within the churchyard of St Bartholomew’s Church, and it comprises a Celtic-style wheel-head cross approximately 4m tall. Interlace detailing in relief to both sides, including a central leaf motif, is positioned upon an angular, tapered shaft. Five further leaf motifs in relief feature in a central column, evenly spaced, down the length of the shaft.

The shaft stands upon a square plinth with angular, pillared shoulders to all four corners, bearing bronze plaques to three sides (N, S and W) with inscriptions in relief. The plinth is positioned upon a two-stepped octagonal base.

The general inscription to the S facing side of the plinth reads: TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD / & TO COMMEMORATE THE SELF / SACRIFICE & DEVOTION OF THE / BRAVE SONS OF THIS VILLAGE / WHO DIED FIGHTING FOR ENGLAND / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919. The names and individual ranks of 21 men who fell in the First World War are inscribed on the N facing side of the plinth.

‘AND ALSO OF’ followed by the names of three men who served in the 1939 – 1945 war, are inscribed in relief upon a third bronze plaque, added to the W facing side of the plinth.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/113516
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9868
Other
Chester Chronicle, Saturday 24 July 1920
Diocese of Chester, Faculty, Barrow, Citation to faculty for erection of churchyard cross, 19 May 1920, Cheshire Archives and Local Studies Service

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].