Summary
First World War memorial, unveiled in January 1921, with further names added after the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Drayton Parslow War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant and striking memorial pillar.
History
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Drayton Parslow as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who fell in the First World War as well as those who served and returned home. The memorial was unveiled in January 1921 by the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire, Robert Wynn-Carington, First Marquis of Lincolnshire. Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that conflict were added.
Details
The war memorial, unveiled in 1921, is situated on Main Road at the junction with Chapel Lane in Drayton Parslow. The memorial stands circa 2.5m high and comprises a pillar, the top part of which is tapering with an elaborate square-sectioned crown and a pyramidal cap. A wreath is carved in relief in the lower half of the main (NE) face. The pillar is set upon a tall plinth; a cornice separates the two parts. The whole stands upon a three-stepped base. The NE face of the plinth bears the dedication and the names of the seven fallen from the First World War. The inscription reads ERECTED/ BY THE PARISHIONERS OF/ DRAYTON PARSLOW/ IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918. A short line is beneath followed by the names of the fallen, forename then surname. Beneath that, the riser of the top step reads AND 1939 – 1945 with the names of the two fallen, again forenames and surnames. The NW and SE faces of the plinth bear the names of men from the village who also served in the First World War and returned; 21 names on one side and 22 on the other. Each reads IN HONOUR/ OF/ THOSE WHO SERVED above the list with a short line between the dedication and the names. The names are initials and surnames. All lettering on the memorial is inset, black-painted lead. This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry