Seaham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1439974
Date first listed:
02-Dec-2016
Statutory Address:
Terrace Green, North Terrace, Seaham, County Durham, SR7 7EU

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439974.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 00:33:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
Terrace Green, North Terrace, Seaham, County Durham, SR7 7EU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaham
National Grid Reference:
NZ4300749624

Summary

First World War memorial designed by Mr TA Lawson, unveiled 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Seaham War Memorial, which stands on Terrace Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an imposing memorial cross in the Celtic style, ornamented with carved interlace patterns; * Group value: with the Police Station and the Statue Of The 6th Marquess Of Londonderry In Front Of Police Station (both Grade II-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Seaham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 20 August 1922 by the Marquis of Londonderry, and dedicated by the vicar, Canon Colling. It commemorates some 400 local servicemen who died in the First World War. The memorial cost £1,200. It was designed by Mr TA Lawson, of Seaham Urban District Council and built by McMillan and Sons of Sunderland. Following the Second World War the dedication was amended to include the dates of that conflict.

Details

First World War memorial designed by Mr TA Lawson, unveiled 1922.

The memorial stands at the centre of Terrace Green, overlooking the sea to the east and in close proximity to the Police Station and the statue of the Marquis of Londonderry (both Grade II-listed). In Cornish granite and c9m tall, it takes the form of a Celtic cross with interlace patterns carved in relief on the wheel-head. The cross shaft rises from an octagonal drum-like pedestal, which stands on a three-stepped base. The pedestal has wreaths carved in low relief to four opposing sides. A metal rail encloses the pedestal in order to hold wreaths. The whole stands on a broad two-stepped platform, which has low Heworth stone piers at each corner.

The principal dedicatory inscription is recorded on the inland-facing side of the cross shaft, reading IN/ GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF/ OUR/ FELLOW/ TOWNSMEN/ WHO FELL/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ AND THE/ WORLD WAR. Additional inscriptions on the pedestal include THE/ IMMORTAL/ DEAD enclosed by each carved wreath and the dates 1914 – 1918 1939 – 1945 on the remaining landward faces.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 27/09/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8563
War Memorials Online, accessed 22 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/73236
War Memorials Register, accessed 22 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/52173

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].