Wellingborough War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1440068
Date first listed:
20-Jan-2017
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Hallows, Church Street, Wellingborough, Northants, NN8 4PA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1440068.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 10:45:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Hallows, Church Street, Wellingborough, Northants, NN8 4PA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Wellingborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP8912467948

Summary

First World War memorial, designed by Walter Talbot Brown and unveiled on 6 November 1918.

Reasons for Designation

Wellingborough War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an ornate and striking design with well-carved figurative sculpture; * Designer: as an excellent example of the work of prominent architect Walter Talbot Brown; * Group value: with All Hallows Church (Grade I), All Hallows Church Hall (Grade II*) and Priory Cottage (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Wellingborough as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was given by Mrs Sotheby of Ecton the widow of Major-General Sotheby who had been killed in 1915. It was designed by Walter Talbot Brown an architect based in Wellingborough. He co-wrote with architect J A Gotch, Architecture of the Renaissance in England, published in 1894. His partnership, W Talbot Brown and Fisher, carried out the restoration of St Peter and St Paul Church, Great Bowden, 1886-7, and St Peter’s Church, Belton-in-Rutland, 1897-8. He exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1881 and 1909. He was also responsible for the war memorial in Wellingborough on Broad Green (Grade II).

The memorial was built by T H Higgins and the sculpture was the work of A Reynolds and Son of Northampton. The memorial was unveiled on 6 November 1918.

Details

MATERIALS: Clipsham stone.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located within the churchyard of All Hallows, Wellingborough. It consists of a hooded Calvary cross with figures to either side of Christ of St John and the Virgin Mary. It rises from a tapering octagonal shaft with square base on a chamfered square plinth. The whole is set upon a two-stepped octagonal base with platformed upper faces.

One face of the plinth has INVICTIA PAX carved on it in raised lettering. The top step reads PRAY FOR THE GALLANT MEN/ WHO FROM THIS TOWN GAVE/ THEIR LIVES FOR TRUTH AND/ FREEDOM IN THE GREAT WAR.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].