Stainton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1440520
Date first listed:
07-Dec-2016
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Main Street, Stainton, County Durham, DL12 8RB

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1440520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Apr-2021 at 05:59:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
Main Street, Stainton, County Durham, DL12 8RB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Streatlam and Stainton
National Grid Reference:
NZ0732118607

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 1924, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Stainton War Memorial, which stands to the north of Main Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified memorial obelisk in the Classical style.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Stainton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 6 April 1924 by Major Wormald and dedicated by the Vicar of Barnard Castle, Reverend HW Bircham. It commemorates 15 local servicemen who died in the First World War and was made by Mr F Deacon of Barnard Castle. The memorial cost c£90, the site having been donated by Mr Newcombe and Messrs JD Wood and Co. Following the Second World War the names of two men who died in that conflict were added.

Details

The memorial stands in a grassy area on the north side of the road through the village of Stainton. Built in freestone from Stainton Quarry, the c3.5m tall memorial takes the form of an obelisk, square on plan, rising from a capped plinth. The plinth stands on a base and step, square on plan. The obelisk and the plinth cap and base are rough-hewn.

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads LEST WE FORGET/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS TOWNSHIP WHO/ FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-18/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 17/10/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=9471
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253769
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10378

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].