Heckington War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1440861
Date first listed:
06-Dec-2016
Statutory Address:
Village Green, Junction of High Street and Church Street, Heckington, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 9RA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Heckington War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1440861 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:52:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
Village Green, Junction of High Street and Church Street, Heckington, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 9RA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Heckington
National Grid Reference:
TF1428743925

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled on 1 October 1922, with further names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Heckington War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant Cornish granite wheel-head cross with carved decorative details; * Design: sited within its original well-executed enclosure comprising paving surrounded by ornate bow-top metal fencing furnished with a gate. * Group value: with the Nag’s Head Public House (Grade II) and Grade II-listed buildings along the High Street.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Heckington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

A scheme for a war memorial was agreed in mid-1919 and fundraising commenced immediately towards a target of £360. On Sunday afternoon 1 October 1922 the memorial was unveiled by Major John Richard Gason Magrath of the Lincolnshire Regiment, who had become an instructor with the Machine Gun Corps at Belton Park in August 1916. In his speech he referred to the fact that from 250 parishioners who served in the armed forces, 31 had died. The vicar Revd Charles Arthur Norris carried out the dedication.

Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that war were also added.

Details

First World War memorial unveiled on 1 October 1922.

MATERIALS: Cornish granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on the edge of the Village Green and it comprises a wheel-head cross embellished with carved knotwork and a central boss surmounting a tapered shaft. This is set upon a plinth and a three-stepped base and overall stands almost c 7.6m high.

The inscriptions are on carried on a bronze plaque on the plinth and it reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE FOLLOWING/ MEN OF HECKINGTON/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN/ THE GREAT WAR. 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The Second World War dedication is on a bronze plaque fixed to the face of the upper step of the base and it reads: ALSO IN ETERNAL MEMORY OF THE/ FOLLOWING WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WORLD WAR./ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

The memorial is surrounded by paving and ornate bow-top metal fencing furnished with a gate at the front.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253762
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 Oct 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54144

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].