Commondale War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Sandhill Bank, Commondale, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21 2HG


Ordnance survey map of Commondale War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1440919.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 04:59:04.


Statutory Address:
Sandhill Bank, Commondale, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21 2HG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Scarborough (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, unveiled 1921, designed by WH Earl.

Reasons for Designation

Commondale War Memorial, at the bottom, west, end of Sandhill Bank, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War; * Architectural interest: an elegant stone cross; * Materials: the memorial has unusual salt-glazed stoneware panels, with stamped lettering carrying the memorial wording.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Commondale as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled by Lord Gisborough at an ecumenical ceremony held on 31 August 1921. It was designed by WH Earl of Danby and made by J Ford of Castleton. The memorial commemorates ten local servicemen who died in the First World War, including two young shepherds who are also commemorated on the Commondale Shepherds’ Memorial (Grade II). The unusual salt-glazed stoneware panels that record the inscriptions were conceivably made by the London and Cleveland Fire Brick Co Ltd Brick and Pipe Works in the village.


The war memorial stands at the bottom, west, end of Sandhill Bank, overlooking Sandhill Bridge. It comprises a stone Latin cross on a short tapering square-sectioned shaft. This rises from a plinth, set on a four-stage square base. The memorial stands within railings set in a stone kerb.

Set in to the plinth are brown salt-glazed stoneware tablets on which are stamped (front face) IN HONOURED/ MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ COMMONDALE,/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR/ GOD, KING, AND/ COUNTRY, IN THE/ GREAT WAR./ 1914-1918. (Rear) THEIR NAME/ SHALL REMAIN/ FOR EVER: AND/ THEIR GLORY/ SHALL NOT BE/ BLOTTED OUT.”/ LEST WE FORGET. The names of those who died appear on side panels. A fifth, smaller, panel set into the upper step records DRESSED & ERECTED BY/ J.FORD. CASTLETON./ DESIGNED BY/ W.H. EARL, DANBY.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 20 February 2017.


War Memorials Online, accessed 20 February 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 20 February 2017 from
“A North Riding Village Memorial”, Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 1 September 1921, p8


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].