Castle Ashby War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Castle Ashby War Memorial
List entry Number: 1441349
Castle Ashby, Northamptonshire, NN7 1LF
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Northamptonshire
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Castle Ashby
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 06-Feb-2017
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, designed by JA Gotch.
Reasons for Designation
Castle Ashby War Memorial, standing on a green at the north end of the village, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War; * Architectural interest: a well-executed stone cross by the well-regarded Northamptonshire architect JA Gotch; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed Falcon Hotel.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Castle Ashby as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was designed by the well-regarded Northamptonshire architect JA Gotch (1852-1942) and built by Messrs Pullen. Gotch was responsible for a number of war memorials in the region, such as those at Kettering, Burton Latimer, and Titchmarsh (all Grade II-listed). The memorial was unveiled on 31 October 1920 by the Marquis of Northampton and dedicated by the Bishop of Peterborough. It commemorates four men who were killed in action, seven who were wounded, and a further 24 who also served.
The war memorial, of Derbyshire stone, stands on a small green at the north end of the estate village, outside the Falcon Hotel (Grade II). It is a tall, freestanding, cross, the crosshead with lobed ends set on an octagonal shaft. This rises from a square plinth on a three-stepped base. The inscriptions are carried on grey stone tablets set into the plinth. The principal inscription reads TO THE GLORY OF ENGLAND/ AND TO THOSE OF THIS PARISH/ WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE WAR 1914 – 1919./ ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS. The commemorated names are listed on the other three plaques, grouped by those killed in action, those wounded, and the rest who served.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 20 February 2017.
War Memorials Online, accessed 20 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/213973
War Memorials Register, accessed 20 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38229
The Northampton Mercury, 5 November 1920
National Grid Reference: SP8598659534
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1441349 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2018 at 05:46:59.
End of official listing