Skegness War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1441366
Date first listed:
13-Feb-2017
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of Church of St Matthew, Junction of Lumley Avenue with Scarborough Avenue, Skegness, Lincolnshire, PE25 2AT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Skegness War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1441366.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2020 at 10:35:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of Church of St Matthew, Junction of Lumley Avenue with Scarborough Avenue, Skegness, Lincolnshire, PE25 2AT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Skegness
National Grid Reference:
TF5663863515

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled on 15 November 1923, with further names added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Skegness War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an ornate and striking Latin cross with carved decorative details; * Group value: with the Church of St Matthew (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was unveiled at Skegness on 15 November 1923 by the Earl of Yarborough, the Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire, and dedicated by Bishop J Taylor Smith CB CVO DD, Chaplain-General to the Forces as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. It commemorates 71 local servicemen who fell during the First World War. 

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 57 fallen servicemen of that conflict and a further 11 civilians. 

Details

Skegness War Memorial is located on the S side of the Church of St Matthew on a small raised circular area. It consists of a stone Latin cross bearing a Sword of Sacrifice on the front face. It is set upon a tapering shaft with moulded base set upon an octagonal plinth. The plinth is set upon a three-stepped octagonal base.

The faces of the plinth bear the names of the fallen in lead lettering and carry carved shield details on alternating faces. The front face carries the inscription 1914 1919/ TO HONOUR/ BEFORE GOD AND MAN,/ ALL WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ IN/ THE GREAT WAR,/ SPECIALLY THE MEN OF/ SKEGNESS,/ WHOSE NAMES ARE/ INSCRIBED/ ON THIS MEMORIAL/ AND/ 1939 1945. Below this on the top step is the additional dedication AND THESE CIVILIANS. The names of the civilians are recorded below this dedication and on two further sides of the step.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War memorials of Lincolnshire , (2014)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 Nov 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/168814
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 Nov 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20440

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].