Bathealton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1442174

Date first listed: 02-Feb-2017

Location Description:

Statutory Address: War memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Bartholomew, Bathealton, Taunton, TA4 2AN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bathealton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1442174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 10:46:34.

Location

Statutory Address: War memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Bartholomew, Bathealton, Taunton, TA4 2AN

Location Description:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Bathealton

National Grid Reference: ST0793324060

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected circa 1920, altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Bathealton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a sombre but elegant memorial, well made and with good inscriptions; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed Church of St Bartholomew.

History

The memorial was erected after the First World War, as part of the great wave of commemoration of the sacrifice made by the fallen from communities across the country. It was set up in a prominent position in the village churchyard. After the Second World War, the names of the soldier of the parish who died in that conflict was added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected circa 1920, altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: local stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a short Celtic wheel cross, with relief-carved interlacing to the arms of the cross, with a moulded central boss. The shaft has a relief-carved cipher of the initials SH, below which is the carved inscription: TO THE / MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO / FELL IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / 1939 – 1945. The shaft sits directly on a tapering square base, inscribed with the names of the casualties of the First World War (4) / OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / AND / followed by the name of the soldier who died in the Second World War. The base stands on a single step, also tapering, which is inscribed: GOD PROVED THEM AND FOUND THEM WORTHY FOR HIMSELF.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253365
War Memorials Register, accessed 01.12.2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/24806

End of official listing