3B Series No.2 by Bernard Schottlander

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1442423
Date first listed:
03-Oct-2017
Statutory Address:
Bosworth Academy, Leicester Lane, Desford, Leicester, LE9 9JL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1442423.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 09:38:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
Bosworth Academy, Leicester Lane, Desford, Leicester, LE9 9JL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
Parish:
Desford
National Grid Reference:
SK4840303342

Summary

3B Series No 2, a welded steel sculpture of 1968 by Bernard Schottlander (1924–1999), is sited in the quadrangle of Bosworth Academy, Desford.

Reasons for Designation

3B Series No.2, a welded steel sculpture of 1968 by Bernard Schottlander, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* for its architectural form and setting within the quadrangle of the Upper School at Desford (now Bosworth Academy), designed by Gollins, Melvin, Ward and Partners (built 1967-1970); * as a sculpture of high artistic and aesthetic quality, employing scale, colour and geometric shapes to create a striking and playful piece of outdoor sculpture, expressing the new abstract forms, ideas and materials of the post-war period.

Historic interest:

* as an important work by Bernard Schottlander (1924–99), an émigré sculptor of international acclaim; * as a strong example of the pioneering purchase and commissioning of artworks by Leicestershire Education Committee for exhibition at schools and public realm in the post-war era.

History

The period after 1945 saw a shift from commemorative sculpture and architectural enrichment to the idea of public sculpture as a primarily aesthetic contribution to the public realm. Sculpture was commissioned for new housing, schools, universities and civic set pieces, with the counties of Hertfordshire, London and Leicestershire and the new towns leading the way in public patronage. Thus public sculpture could be an emblem of civic renewal and social progress. By the late C20 however, patronage was more diverse and included corporate commissions and Arts Council-funded community art. The ideology of enhancing the public realm through art continued, but with divergent means and motivation.Visual languages ranged from the abstraction of Victor Pasmore and Phillip King to the figurative approach of Elisabeth Frink and Peter Laszlo Peri, via those such as Lynn Chadwick and Barbara Hepworth who bridged the abstract / representational divide. The post-war decades are characterised by the exploitation of new – often industrial – materials and techniques including new welding and casting techniques, plastics and concrete, while kinetic sculpture and ‘ready mades’ (using found objects) demonstrate an interest in composite forms.

Bernard Schottlander (1924–1999) was born in Mainz, Germany into a Jewish family of art enthusiasts. He fled Nazi Germany in 1939, arriving at Leeds where he worked in a factory as a welder whilst attending evening classes in sculpture at the Leeds College of Art. After war service, Schottlander became a British citizen in 1946. Subsequently he received a grant to study sculpture at the Anglo-French Centre in St John's Wood, London, followed by a course in Industrial Design at the London County Council's Central School of Arts and Crafts. In 1951 he began his own industrial design workshop, notably creating the ‘Mantis’ series of lamps. In 1963 Schottlander resolved to concentrate solely on sculpture and had his first solo show in 1964 at the Architectural Association in London. He also featured in the group show 'Six Artists' at the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London and had his second solo exhibition in 1966 at the influential Hamilton Galleries. A series of commissions for public outdoor works followed, combining his expertise as maker, industrial designer and sculptor.

3B Series No 2 was designed by Schottlander in 1968, and was purchased by Leicestershire Education Committee for the Upper School at Desford in 1969 (now known as Bosworth Academy). Schottlander frequently worked alongside architects to design sculptures for specific architectural schemes, and it is likely that the artist worked with the architects of the school Gollins, Melvin, Ward and Partners (GMW) and the county architect on this commission. Located in the quadrangle adjacent the main entrance, the sculpture was originally visible through the pilotis of the north block, until the pilotis were infilled with classrooms in around 1980. An edition of 3B Series No 2 was exhibited outside Loughborough College of Education until around 1985, which was also designed by GMW (built 1965). 3B Series No 2 is characteristic of Schottlander’s abstract, geometric work of the late-1960s, and is similar in form to 3B Series No 1 (1968), located at University of Warwick (listed at Grade II).

Details

3B Series No 2, a welded steel sculpture of 1968 by Bernard Schottlander (1924–19 99), is sited in the quadrangle of Bosworth Academy, Desford.

This geometrical sculpture of welded mild steel is painted black, and measures approximately 3.4m in height, 8.1m in width and 3.3m in depth. It comprises four arched sections, varying in height, projecting at right angles from a central bench. The two tallest arched sections support a ring. The sculpture has no plinth and stands directly on a concrete base, within a grassed quadrangle.

Sources

Books and journals
Moriarty et al, C., Indoors and Out: The Sculpture and Design of Bernard Schottlander, (2007)
Strachan, W G, Open Air Sculpture in Britain: a Comprehensive Guide, (1984)
Websites
Public Monuments and Sculpture Association, 3B Series No.2, accessed 8 December 2016 from http://www.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/2121/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].