Wylam War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1442824
Date first listed:
15-Feb-2017
Statutory Address:
War Memorial Green, Stephenson Terrace, Wylam, Northumberland, NE41 8DS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1442824.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Jul-2020 at 13:13:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
War Memorial Green, Stephenson Terrace, Wylam, Northumberland, NE41 8DS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wylam
National Grid Reference:
NZ1184864628

Summary

First World War memorial by W Dixon and Sons of Newcastle, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Wylam War Memorial, which stands on War Memorial Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a tall memorial cross built in a complimentary suite of regional stone types.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Wylam as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 10 March 1923 by CJW Blackett, Lord of the Manor, and dedicated by the Vicar, Reverend HH Barff, and the Methodist Minister, Reverend George Mills. Colonel EPC Riddell CMG DSO gave the address. The memorial commemorates 42 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Designed by W Dixon and Sons of Newcastle, it cost c£700, raised by public subscription. The site for the memorial was donated by the landowner, CJW Blackett. Following the Second World War the names of 11 men who died in that conflict were added.

Messrs William Dixon and Sons, surveyors and architects of Newcastle, were also responsible for the Grade II-listed Broomhaugh and Riding Mill war memorial cross.

Details

The memorial stands on War Memorial Green, to the north end of Wylam Bridge. The tall cross in Windy Nook stone comprises an ornamented Latin cross that rises from a moulded collar on a tapering shaft. The moulded shaft foot stands on a plinth, octagonal on plan, that stands on Heworth stone steps. The stepped base is surrounded by York stone flagstones.

Four of the plinth’s faces bear bronze plaques. The principal dedicatory inscription on the plaque to the front face reads ERECTED BY/ THE PEOPLE OF/ WYLAM/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ “THEY WERE A WALL UNTO US/ BOTH BY NIGHT AND DAY.”/ I.SAM.XXV.16. This plaque is ornamented with a small wreath and a border of interlace pattern. To either side of that plaque on the adjacent plinth faces are similar plaques listing the commemorated First World War names. The fourth plaque reads 1939 – 1945/ (11 NAMES).

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 19/12/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8556
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/204908
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34285

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].