Cossall War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1443578
Date first listed:
21-Feb-2017
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Catherine, Church Lane, Cossall, Nottinghamshire, NG16 2RW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1443578.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 09:47:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Catherine, Church Lane, Cossall, Nottinghamshire, NG16 2RW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Broxtowe (District Authority)
Parish:
Cossall
National Grid Reference:
SK4837442295

Summary

First World War Memorial.

Reasons for Designation

Cossall War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

* Architectural interest: it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a white marble obelisk;

* Group value: it has group value with the nearby Grade II* listed Church of St Catherine.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the 19th century. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial in Cossall commemorates the fallen from the First and Second World Wars. The memorial was built by Holbrook and Co. of Eastwood, Nottinghamshire at a cost of £167. The money was raised by Cossall Memorial Committee and was paid in October 1920.

Details

First World War Memorial.

MATERIALS: white marble and granite.

PLAN: the memorial is located in the churchyard of the Grade II* listed Church of St Catherine.

EXTERIOR: the memorial is in the form of a white marble obelisk with a soldier’s peaked cap, a sword with sash, a wreath of laurel and a branch of oak leaves and acorns carved in relief on the front face. It is mounted on a plinth with two square stepped bases and a square two-tier platform of granite. The front face of the plinth is inscribed: TO/ THE GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF THE BRAVE LADS OF/ THIS PARISH WHO MADE/ THE SUPREME SACRIFICE/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-18/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE, followed by their names. The front face of the base is inscribed: ALSO IN GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THOSE/ WHO FELL IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR/ 1939-1945, followed by their names.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 2 March 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 March 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/134712
War Memorials Register, accessed 13 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26868

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].