Penge (Holy Trinity) War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Holy Trinity Church, Lennard Road, Penge, London, SE20 7LX


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1444941.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2021 at 23:58:45.


Statutory Address:
Holy Trinity Church, Lennard Road, Penge, London, SE20 7LX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Bromley (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


Portland stone war memorial cross, unveiled 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Penge (Holy Trinity) War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War; * Design: as an imposing and well executed Portland stone cross war memorial.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in Penge at Holy Trinity Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community. It was unveiled on 19 February 1921 in a ceremony attended by Reverend Canon Henry Arnott and the Grenadier Guards. The Venerable Archdeacon of Rochester Donald Tait was due to be officiating but was forced to withdraw on the morning of the 19 due to a family bereavement. The memorial cost a total of £224.14.4.

In 2016 the memorial was cleaned and the inscriptions re-carved.


Tall cross of Portland stone, resting on an octagonal pillar atop an octagonal plinth. The front face of the plinth bears the inscription: TO THE / GLORY OF / GOD / AND IN / GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF / ALL FROM / THIS PARISH / WHO FELL / IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1918; the other eight faces bear the names of the Fallen. The plinth rests on a two-step octagonal base.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 July 2017.


War Memorials Online, accessed 20 July 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 15 February 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].