Martin Dales War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1449969
Date first listed:
18-Oct-2017
Statutory Address:
Martin Dales Drove, Martin Dales, Woodall Spa, Lincolnshire, LN10 6XZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Martin Dales War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1449969 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 16:24:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
Martin Dales Drove, Martin Dales, Woodall Spa, Lincolnshire, LN10 6XZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Martin
National Grid Reference:
TF1749461984

Summary

First World War memorial cross, unveiled 1920, restored 2017.

Reasons for Designation

Martin Dales War Memorial, which stands on Martin Dales Drove, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

*    As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.      Architectural interest:

*     An elegant war memorial cross in Portland stone.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Martin Dales as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 10 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled in March 1920 by Mrs E Crowden, who had also donated the site on which the memorial originally stood. The dedication ceremony began with a service at St Hugh’s Mission Church, conducted by the Rev HCG Robertson after which the congregation walked in procession to the site on the north side of Martin Dales Drove. At a later date, c1967, the memorial was moved a short distance to the south of the road, outside the village hall.

In 2015 the memorial was conserved with grant aid from the War Memorials Trust and two years later further grant aid was given by the Trust towards the reinstatement of the missing Latin cross-head, which had been lost following storm damage incurred sometime after 2000. Photographs taken in 2000 show the memorial surrounded by a low chain, which had been removed by 2014.

Details

MATERIALS: Portland stone, concrete.

DESCRIPTION: the tall stone war memorial is located in front of St Hugh’s Church Hall. It takes the form of a Latin cross rising from a capital with flower moulding, on a tapering shaft. The cross shaft stands on a plinth, square on plan, with a four-stepped base (the lower level of which is made of concrete). The front face of the plinth bears the inscription TO THE GLORY OF GOD./ AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ MARTIN DALES/ WHO FELL NOBLY FIGHTING FOR GOD AND RIGHT/ AND LIBERTY, IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914 – 1918/ (10 NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS”.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 13 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/187589
War Memorials Register, accessed 13 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54147
Other
“Martin Dales”, Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian, 20 March 1920, p8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].