Burgh le Marsh War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1450497
Date first listed:
30-Oct-2017
Statutory Address:
The churchyard, Church of St Peter and St Paul, High Street, Burgh Le Marsh, Lincolnshire, PE24 5JS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1450497.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 10:48:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
The churchyard, Church of St Peter and St Paul, High Street, Burgh Le Marsh, Lincolnshire, PE24 5JS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Burgh Le Marsh
National Grid Reference:
TF5005565024

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Burgh le Marsh Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the parish church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* A tall Calvary cross in Portland stone.

Group value:

* With the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade I) and the lych gate and Old Vicarage (both Grade II) and other Grade II-listed buildings in close proximity on the High Street.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Burgh le Marsh as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

A ceremony to unveil the Burgh Le Marsh war memorial was held on 14 December 1920. A procession of ex-servicemen and friends and relatives of those who had died were headed by the Burgh Brass Band and a muffled peal of the church bells was tolled. Following a service led by local clergy the memorial was unveiled by Hon Col Thomas Walter Harding DL JP. The mason was Henry Wood of Wainfleet and the memorial was built by local builder Mr Ray of Fotherby. Following the Second World War an additional inscription was added to the memorial.

Details

The war memorial is located by the churchyard path near the entrance to the Church of St Peter and St Paul, close to the Grade II-listed lych gate in sight of The Old Vicarage (Grade II-listed). The memorial faces northwards, towards the High Street. It is a 4.1m tall Calvary cross in Portland Stone. It stands on a square of concrete and has a square base. Above this there is a three-stage plinth: the lowest stage is square on plan, supporting the octagonal middle and upper stages. A carved wreath marks the transition between the middle and upper stages. The cross shaft is octagonal in section with an incised floral design on the east and west sides. The hooded cross-head, rising from a moulded collar, bears the carved figure of Christ crucified.

The memorial inscriptions are found on the sides of the plinth’s upper stage and on four sides of the middle stage, using both applied metal lettering and black-painted incised lettering. On the north face of the middle stage the inscription reads IN PROUD MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF BURGH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 with on the eastern face LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND/ WE FOR ENGLAND DIED. To the south the inscription continues MAY THEY REST IN PEACE and, to the west, THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Commemorated names are listed on the faces of the plinth’s upper stage, with on the southern face [NAMES]/ OF THIS PARISH/GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE WAR OF/ 1939-1945. There is also a faint inscription carved in relief on the cross shaft that is not at present (2017) completely legible: it reads IS IT/ […]/ TO YOU/ ALL YE/ THAT/ PASS/ BY, which is taken from Lamentations 1v12.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), p12, p59
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/207777/
War Memorials Register, accessed 2 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/53960

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].