Statue of Sir James Robert McGrigor B. G., M. D. at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1452265
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1987
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Nov-2017
Location Description:
The Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, Haig Road, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 4PQ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1452265.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 05:11:28.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
The Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, Haig Road, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 4PQ
County:
Surrey
District:
Surrey Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU8719460808

Summary

Bronze statue of Sir James Robert McGrigor BG, MD, situated at the southern entrance to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

Reasons for Designation

The statue of Sir James Robert McGrigor is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* An elegant Victorian bronze statue atop a granite base; * By noted sculptor Matthew Nobel who was a leading British portrait sculptor; * Cast by Robertson and Cottam who were noted for their casting of large statues.

Historic interest:

* As a memorial to an individual largely responsible for the creation of the Royal Army Medical Corps who served in the Peninsular War (1807-1814) under the Duke of Wellington.

Group value:

* Within the estate of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, notably in proximity to the Grade II listed Entrance Lodge (Staff College Gate) and Grade II listed Staff College.

History

Sir James Robert McGrigor is known to history as the Director General of the Army Medical Department (1815-1851) and served with the British armies in Holland, the West Indies, India, Egypt, the Walcheren Campaign and the Peninsular War. In 1811 he was appointed Surgeon-General for the Duke of Wellington's army in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular Wars (1808-1814). McGrigor served as Director-General of the Army Medical Service (1815-1851) and did much to reform that department. He introduced the stethoscope in 1821, set up field hospitals for those injured in action and generally improved the standards of cleanliness and hygiene. in 1814, the Duke of Wellington wrote that McGrigor was "One of the most industrious, able and successful public servants I have ever met with."

McGrigor's statue was erected at Chelsea Hospital on 18 November 1865, paid for by public subscription, with the chief contributors being Medical Officers of the Army. The sculptor, Matthew Nobel (1817-1876), was a leading British portrait sculptor. He is remembered for carving numerous monumental figures and busts including work memorializing Victorian-era royalty and statesmen including Robert Peel (Parliament Square, London), John Franklin (Waterloo Place, London) and Manchester's Wellington Monument. Nobel's statue of McGrigor dates to 1865 and was cast by Robertson and Cottam in Battersea, London, who were noted for their casting of large statues.

In 1909 the statue was moved to a small courtyard on Atterbury Street, Westminster. The statue was moved again in 2002 to its current location at Sandhurst.

Details

The statue comprises a bronze standing figure in military dress uniform, with decorations, on pedestal of pink Scottish granite with a grey granite plinth. A sword hangs on his left side and his right hand holds a leather wallet, presumably containing medical equipment.

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].