Botesdale, Redgrave and Rickinghall War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1452568

Date first listed: 08-Feb-2018

Statutory Address: Market Place, Junction of The Street and Back Hills, Botesdale, Suffolk, IP22 1BT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Botesdale, Redgrave and Rickinghall War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1452568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:39:45.

Location

Statutory Address: Market Place, Junction of The Street and Back Hills, Botesdale, Suffolk, IP22 1BT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Botesdale

National Grid Reference: TM0476875855

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 8 August 1920, with additions for later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

Botesdale, Redgrave and Rickinghall War Memorial, which is situated in Botesdale Market Place, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed wheel-head cross memorial.

Group value:

* with the surrounding Grade II-listed buildings.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Botesdale as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the parishioners of Botesdale, Redgrave and Rickinghall who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was erected by Messrs Cubitt of Ipswich to a total cost of around £300, which was paid for by public subscription. It was unveiled on Sunday 8 August 1920 by Brigadier-General Lord Playfair and dedicated by the rector of Redgrave-cum-Botesdale, Reverend L H Wilson. The memorial commemorates 61 local servicemen who died in the conflict; 11 from Botesdale, 13 from Redgrave and 37 from Rickinghall.

Stone tablets carrying the names of 12 parishioners who fell during the Second World War and one who died during the Korean War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with additions for later conflicts.

DESCRIPTION: The Botesdale, Redgrave and Rickinghall war memorial is located on a raised area of hardstanding in the Market Place in Botesdale at the junction of The Street and Back Hills, surrounded by numerous Grade II-listed buildings.

The memorial is of Portland stone and comprises a tall, wheel-head cross with a tapering shaft which terminates in a moulded foot; the cross and shaft are inset. The cross rises from a square pedestal which surmounts a substantial square plinth. The whole stands on a single-step stone base. Two wedged-shaped stone panels have been placed at the bottom of the plinth to the south-west and north-east sides; that to the south-west side is inset into the base. The inscriptions and names are on recessed, fielded panels to the plinth and the two stone tablets; all lettering is incised, painted black.

The south-west face of the plinth reads IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF/ THOSE MEN FROM THE PARISHES/ OF/ BOTESDALE-REDGRAVE-RICKINGHALL-/ SUPERIOR AND INFERIOR,/ WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1918. The 61 names of the fallen from the First World War are inscribed into the three other faces of the plinth.

The Second World War dedication is on the stone tablet to the south-west and reads ALSO/ IN AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ 1939 – 45 WAR/ (12 NAMES).

The stone tablet to the north-east reads THE KOREAN WAR/ 1950–1953/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ (1 NAME).

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/03/2018

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2018.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 February 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/256518
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 November 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4704
Other
‘Botesdale. Dedication of War Memorial.’, The Diss Express, and Norfolk and Suffolk Journal, (13 August 1920), pp8.

End of official listing