Corby Glen War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1453151
Date first listed:
25-Jan-2018
Statutory Address:
The Green, Junction of Station Road, Corby Glen, Lincolnshire, NG33 4NW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1453151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 03:59:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Green, Junction of Station Road, Corby Glen, Lincolnshire, NG33 4NW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Corby Glen
National Grid Reference:
SK9973824890

Summary

A First World War memorial cross with additions and alterations after 1945, placed on the village green of Corby Glen and unveiled on 12 December 1920 by the Earl of Ancaster and dedicated by the Revd. Arthur Abbott.

Reasons for Designation

Corby Glen War Memorial, Lincolnshire is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War.

Architectural interest: * As an accomplished and well-realised war memorial, which takes the form of a granite cross with a Celtic wheel-head on a tapered shaft with tapered base.

Group value: * The cross forms a group with the Museum and Art Gallery and Milestone, West of Garage, both listed at Grade II.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial at Corby Glen is a copy of the C8 Celtic Cross of St Martin on the Island of Iona. It was carved and erected at a cost of £250 and dedicated on 13 December 1920 by the Revd. Arthur Abbott and unveiled by the Earl of Ancaster.

Details

A First World War memorial cross with additions and alterations after 1945, placed on the village green of Corby Glen and unveiled on 12 December 1920 by the Earl of Ancaster and dedicated by the Revd. Arthur Abbott.

MATERIALS: Cornish granite with an encircling iron fence.

DESCRIPTION: the monument takes the form of a Celtic cross with a wheel-head and tapered shaft with a tapered, rectangular base and a plinth. It has deeply-moulded arms and shaft. A central boss with platted ornament is surrounded by similar bosses to each arm.

INSCRIPTION: the plinth is inscribed: ‘IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919 (names of the Fallen are recorded below) ALSO IN THANKFUL REMEMBRANCE OF (names)/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR / ALSO REPORTED MISSING/ IN MALAYA 1956,/ (name)'.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, Michael (Author), The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 68
Websites
Imperial War Museum, accessed 12 January 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3707
War Memorials Trust, accessed 12 January 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/118958/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].