Blo Norton War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Lane and The Street, St Mary's Road, Blo Norton, Norfolk, IP22 2JD


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1453319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2021 at 04:55:15.


Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Lane and The Street, St Mary's Road, Blo Norton, Norfolk, IP22 2JD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Breckland (District Authority)
Blo' Norton
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, unveiled on 7 November 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Blo Norton war memorial, which is situated at the junction of Church Lane and The Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* an elegant Latin cross memorial demonstrating fine craftsmanship and considered use of materials;

* designed by noted architect A R Powys with the detailed sculptural work undertaken by renowned sculptor Laurence Turner.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed buildings the Church of St Andrew and Church Farmhouse.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Blo Norton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was unveiled on 7 November 1920, by Major Prince Frederick Duleep Singh, and dedicated by the rector of the parish, the Reverend C L Norris. The memorial was designed by Mr A R Powys, sculpted by Mr Lawrence Turner of London, and erected by Mr R F Perfitt (monumental mason) of Diss. It commemorates the 27 men who served in the conflict, of which only two died (one of whom was the reverend’s son) and both of their names are inscribed on the memorial.

Albert Reginald Powys (1881-1936), was an architect known for his work on preserving ancient buildings and was secretary to the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB). In 1928 he published his classic reference book ‘Repair of Ancient Buildings’. Powys also designed Godalming War Memorial and the War Memorial at the South End of Memorial Drive, Leeds, both of which are listed at Grade II.

Laurence Arthur Turner (1864 – 1957) was an architectural sculptor and modeller. Following his education at Marlborough College he was articled to John McCulloch. Turner worked with many leading architects including Bodley, Eden, Tapper and Schultz, predominantly on church projects. His prolific commissions include tombs for William Morris and Norman Shaw as well as decorative work for commercial and government buildings, churches, and educational establishments. He worked on a number of war memorials including the Robertson War Memorials in Netley Park, Guildford and Michel Dene, Wealden as well as Cound War Memorial and Woolmer Green War Memorial all of which are Grade II-listed.


First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: Doulting stone; flint and red brick platform.

DESCRIPTION: Blo Norton war memorial is located on a small green just outside St Andrew’s churchyard at the junction of Church Lane and The Street. To the south is the Grade II*-listed Church of St Andrew, while to the north is the Grade II*-listed Church Farmhouse.

The memorial is of Doulting stone and takes the form of a Latin cross with flower and foliate relief-carved detailing at the end of each cross-arm. The cross has a slender, hexagonal shaft that rises from a hexagonal pedestal with moulded foot and a sloped cap; the cap is gabled at three sides. Carved in relief to each face of the pedestal are six painted heraldic shields, which represent the Royal Arms of King George V (north-west face), East Anglia (west face), Diocese of Norwich (south-west face), the County of Norfolk (south-east face), the Duke of Norfolk (east face), and St Andrew (north-east face). This surmounts a hexagonal plinth upon a single step hexagonal base. The whole is raised up on a platform of regular-coursed, rough-dressed flint with narrow, red brick quoins supported by a wide hexagonal foundation, also of brick.

The plinth bears the inscriptions and names in incised lettering, painted black. The principal inscription reads in an anticlockwise direction around the upper half of the plinth, TO COMMEMORATE THE/ PEACE 1919 AND IN EVER/ GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF (north-west face). (2 NAMES)/ WHO ALONE OF (west face). THE TWENTY SEVEN MEN/ OF THIS VILLAGE SERVING/ IN THE GREAT WAR (south-west face). MADE THE SUPREME/ SACRIFICE AND ENSURED/ THE FINAL VICTORY(south-east face). THIS CROSS THE EMBLEM/ OF THEIR FAITH AND/ OURS WAS ERECTED BY (east face). THE INHABITANTS OF/ BLO NORTON (north-east face). The letters ‘T’ and ‘H’ of the word “THE” at the start of the inscription of the south-west face are merged together. A shield with a cross design is to the right-hand corner of the west face.

The Second World War inscription is directly below and reads in an anticlockwise direction around the lower half of the plinth, ALSO OF (north-west face). (3 NAMES) (west face). WHO OF THE TWENTY SEVEN/ MEN AND WOMEN SERVING IN/ THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945 (south-west face). MADE THE SUPREME/ SACRIFICE (south-east face).


Books and journals
Brodie, Antonia (Editor), Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 Volume 2, (2001), pp403
‘Laurence Arthur Turner’, Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851-1951, accessed 18 December 2017 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 15 December 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 15 December 2017 from
‘Blo Norton’, The Diss Express, and Norfolk and Suffolk Journal, (12 November 1920), pp5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].