Walcott War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1455118
Date first listed:
11-Jun-2018
Statutory Address:
Outside St Oswald's Church, High Street (B1189), Walcott, Lincolnshire, LN4 3SY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Walcott War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455118 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:19:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
Outside St Oswald's Church, High Street (B1189), Walcott, Lincolnshire, LN4 3SY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Walcott
National Grid Reference:
TF1307056596

Summary

First World War memorial unveiled 29 May 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Walcott War Memorial, which is situated outside St Oswald's Church on the High Street in Walcott, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* an elegant and ornate Clipsham stone floriated cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed St Oswald's Church.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Walcott as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Walcott War Memorial was unveiled on the 29 May 1921. It was constructed by Messrs William Henry Maxey and Sons, building contractors of Sleaford. At a ceremony attended by members of the local community and clergy, relatives and ex-servicemen the memorial was unveiled by the Revd Robert Oborne Walker, Rector of Aswarby and a former Chaplain of the Forces. It was dedicated by the Revd William Cole Ambrose of Billingham. Following the Second World War, two names were added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with additions for later conflicts.

DESCRIPTION: Walcott War Memorial is located to the north-west of the Grade-II listed St Oswald’s Church, Walcott, within a gravelled enclosure with a hedge on three sides and a wrought-iron fence on the side facing the road. It is of Clipsham stone with green inset slate panels. It stands 4.5m in height and is formed of an octagonal column which rises from a four-sided plinth and double-stepped base, with the column terminating in a foliated cross. The south-west panel, which faces the road, and the south-east panel are inscribed in black lettering. The south-west face reads: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ IN MEMORY OF/ [NAMES]/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919. The south-east face reads: ALSO TO THE MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO DIED IN/ THE WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ [NAMES].

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 185
Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 22 December 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20499
War Memorials Online, accessed 22 December 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/206906/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].