Featherstone Boys School War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1455366
Date first listed:
23-Apr-2018
Statutory Address:
Featherstone Primary School, Western Road, Southall, Ealing, UB2 5JT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Featherstone Boys School War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 01:01:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
Featherstone Primary School, Western Road, Southall, Ealing, UB2 5JT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Ealing (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ1146478890

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, designed by Mr W T Curtis.

Reasons for Designation

The Featherstone Boys School War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the school and the wider community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a restrained and well-composed memorial designed by the architect William Thomas Curtis and the sculptor John Tweed.

History

The memorial at Featherstone Boys School was erected as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the school’s old boys, who lost their lives in the First World War. The design was produced by William Thomas Curtis, FRIBA, and the sculpture was created by John Tweed. It was constructed by Messrs E J and A T Bradford, costing approximately £300. The memorial was unveiled 16 February 1921 by Field Marshall Sir William R Robertson Bart and commemorates 222 servicemen who died during the First World War. 

John Tweed (1869-1933) was born in Glasgow and studied part-time at Glasgow School of Art. He moved to London in 1890 and worked for Hamo Thornycroft, studying at the South London Technical Art School and the Royal Academy Schools. He studied briefly in Paris under Alexandre Falguière. In 1893 he obtained an important portraiture commission through Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker and in 1901 was commissioned to complete the memorial to the first Duke of Wellington in St Paul’s Cathedral, after the death of Alfred Stevens. A close friend of Rodin, he organised the exhibition of Rodin’s sculpture at Grosvenor House, London, in 1914. Following the First World War he produced many statues and monuments, a number of which are listed, including the Rifle Brigade memorial in Grosvenor Gardens (Grade II*), the statue of Lord Kitchener on Horse Guards, Westminster (Grade II), and the statue of Sir John Moore at Shorncliffe Barracks, Folkestone (Grade II).

William Thomas Curtis was County Architect of Middlesex from 1930 to 1946 and with William Howard Burchett, Assistant Architect to the Education Committee, was responsible for innovative modernist public buildings in the county, a number of which are listed Grade II including the Magistrates Court, Harrow , Bowes Road Library and Arnos Pool, Enfield, and Kenton Library.

John Tweed and William Curtis worked on a number of war memorials together, a notable example being the Barnsley War Memorial (Grade II*).

In 1982 the bronze soldier figure was stolen from the top of the memorial. It was restored in around 2009.

Details

War memorial at Featherstone Boys School, designed by William Thomas Curtis, FRIBA, with sculpture by John Tweed, unveiled 16 February 1921.

MATERIALS: Portland stone memorial wall with bronze soldier figure.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial consists of a three-part canted limestone wall capped with a projecting stone cornice which shelters the memorial inscriptions. This structure supports a small tapering stone plinth with a bronze figure of a soldier leaning on his rifle. Below the overhanging cornice is a bracket with a carved wreath hanging from it. The memorial sits on a single stone step. The inscription on the memorial reads TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)/ OLD BOYS OF THIS SCHOOL/ WHO FELL IN THE WAR 1914 – 1918/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums: War Memorials Register, accessed 7 March 2018 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/47859
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 March 2018 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/128083
Other
‘Memorial to School’s Fallen’, Southall and Norwood Advertiser and Gazette, 18 February 1921

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].