North Kyme War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1455419
Date first listed:
26-Jun-2018
Statutory Address:
St Luke's Churchyard, Church Lane, North Kyme, Lincolnshire, LN4 4DJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of North Kyme War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 11:14:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Luke's Churchyard, Church Lane, North Kyme, Lincolnshire, LN4 4DJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
North Kyme
National Grid Reference:
TF1529052714

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 10 October 1920.

Reasons for Designation

North Kyme War Memorial, which is situated in St Luke’s churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed obelisk memorial.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Luke.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at North Kyme as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 14 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Initial proposals included replacing the old Butter Cross with a memorial to the fallen; however, this was turned down in a meeting on 20 December 1919 and following further debate the churchyard was chosen as the location for the memorial. It was unveiled on 10 October 1920 by local landowner, the 14th Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham, Guy Montagu George Finch-Hatton and dedicated by the Vicar, Reverend John Milner and the Wesleyan Minister, Reverend W H Wardle.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

DESCRIPTION: North Kyme War Memorial is located in the churchyard to the north-west of the Grade II-listed Church of St Luke. It stands adjacent to the boundary wall within a square enclosure bounded by metal railings.

It is of polished, grey granite and takes the form of an obelisk rising from a tall, four-sided plinth surmounting a two-stepped, chamfered, square base. The plinth has a pedimented cap with a moulded cornice beneath.

The principal inscription and names are to the north-west face of the plinth in leaded lettering. The inscription begins in the pediment of the cap and reads, ERECTED BY/ THE PARISHIONERS IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES. This is continued directly below to the main body of the plinth, FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS”/ (14 NAMES).

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, Michael (Author), The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), pp 141
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 28 February 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/206920/
War Memorials Register, accessed 28 February 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54149
Other
The Lincolnshire Standard, (16 October 1920), pp 8.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].