No Man's Land War Memorial and Commemorative Cross

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1455693
Date first listed:
12-Apr-2018
Location Description:
Within the grounds of No Man's Land Memorial Hall, Holland Road, No Man's Land, nr Looe, PL13 1QP

Map

Ordnance survey map of No Man's Land War Memorial and Commemorative Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 01:17:20.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Within the grounds of No Man's Land Memorial Hall, Holland Road, No Man's Land, nr Looe, PL13 1QP

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Martin-by-Looe
National Grid Reference:
SX2758556615

Summary

A commemorate cross erected at Great Tree in 1897, altered to commemorate subsequent coronations and the First World War.

Reasons for Designation

The No Man's Land War Memorial and Commemorative Cross is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of the events of the First World War on the local community; * for its interest as a commemorative cross which marks various royal coronations and jubilees of the C19 and C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a dignified and sombre stone cross, neatly made and well-proportioned.

History

The commemorative cross at No Man's Land was originally erected at nearby Great Tree to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. Additional text was subsequently added in 1902 to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII, and again in 1911 for that of King George V.

Following the First World War, England saw a great wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of war memorials erected across the country to honour the war dead. Here, the parishioners of St Martin-by-Looe added a plaque to the existing commemorative cross.

Later, further inscriptions were added in 1937 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI, and in 2012 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

The war memorial was moved to its present location at No Man's Land due to road improvements at Great Tree. The exact date when this took place is not known.

Details

A commemorate cross erected at Great Tree in 1897, altered to commemorate subsequent coronations and the First World War.

MATERIALS AND PLAN: the cross is built of granite and stands in a small paved area adjacent to the village hall, facing north.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a Celtic-style cross with an ornately carved face, this has a short shaft which stands atop three large blocks which form the base.

The original inscription, on a plaque on the face of the main block of the base, reads: 'VICTORIA/ QUEEN & EMPRESS/ ENCLOSED & PLANTED/ AS A MEMORIAL OF THE/ DIAMOND JUBILEE/ OF HER GLORIOUS REIGN/ 1897'. Above this are later added inscriptions which read 'EDWARD VII. 1902', 'GEO. v. 1911', and 'GEORGE VI. 1937'.

At the base of the memorial is the plaque added to commemorate the First World War. Its inscription reads: 'THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ IN EVER GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ THIS MEMORIAL STONE IS ERECTED BY THE/ PARISHIONERS OF ST MARTINS, BY-LOOE'.

The final inscription is on a plaque added to the side of the memorial, which reads: 'ERECTED/ BY/ THE PARISH/ TO/ COMMEMORATE/ THE/ DIAMOND JUBILEE/ OF/ QUEEN/ ELIZABETH II/ 1952-2012'.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, ref.WMO155734, accessed 16.3.18 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/155734/
Other
Cornwal and Scilly Historic Environment Record, ref.MCO61225

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].