South Lopham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1455851

Date first listed: 24-Jul-2018

Statutory Address: Junction of Church Road with The Street (A1066), South Lopham, Norfolk, IP22 2LJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of South Lopham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455851 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:14:58.

Location

Statutory Address: Junction of Church Road with The Street (A1066), South Lopham, Norfolk, IP22 2LJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: South Lopham

National Grid Reference: TM0420481442

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled on 2 October 1921, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

South Lopham War Memorial, which is situated at the junction of The Street (A1066) with Church Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* an elegant example of the cross fleurée type of war memorial demonstrating fine craftsmanship with the relief carved details to the plinth.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed buildings: Nos 1-2 The Street, Nos 4-5 The Street, and the White Horse public house.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at South Lopham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 10 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. A total of about 100 men served from the parish from a population of 449 people. The memorial was unveiled by Prince Frederick Duleep Singh on 2 October 1921 and dedicated by the Rector, the Reverend C J Eastwood. It cost around £200 with the money raised via public subscription. The work was carried out by Messrs J Cooley and Son of Diss, who also made the war memorial at the nearby village of Bressingham, which is Grade II-listed.

Following the Second World War, the names of two casualties were added to the memorial. A third name was added later in 2011.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.

DESCRIPTION: South Lopham War Memorial is located on a triangular green at the junction of The Street (A1066) with Church Road. It is in close proximity to several Grade II-listed buildings including Nos 1-2 The Street, Nos 4-5 The Street, and the White Horse public house.

The memorial is of Portland stone and takes the form of a cross fleurée on a tapering, octagonal shaft with a moulded collar. The shaft foot, square on plan, is ornamented with small foliage carvings at the corners and a moulded base.

The cross rises from a four-sided capped and corniced pedestal. Foliage designs are carved in low relief on the sloping surfaces of the cap. The pedestal stands on a two-stepped base. A rifle is carved in low relief on the chamfered edge of the bottom step, to the south-east side.

Each face of the pedestal bears rectangular stone panels with concave corners. Above the panel to the south-east face are relief carvings of a small laurel wreath between crossed and painted Union Flags. Within that panel is the principal inscription and names in incised lettering, painted black, which reads IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF SOUTH LOPHAM/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1918./ (NAMES). Directly below, within a recessed panel on the upper-step of the base, are the words THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

The Second World War dedication was added to the panel on the south-west face, also in incised lettering, painted black, reading IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF SOUTH LOPHAM/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

The whole stands within a square gravelled area enclosed by eight stone posts carrying a spiked chain.

Sources

Websites
Roll of Honour, South Lopham, accessed 1 March 2018 from http://www.breckland-rollofhonour.org.uk/s_lopham.html
War Memorials Register, accessed 1 March 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19635
Other
‘South Lopham. Unveiling and Dedication of War Memorial’, Diss Express and Norfolk and Suffolk Journal, 7 October 1921, p5

End of official listing