Loddon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1455991
Date first listed:
07-Jun-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Holy Trinity Church, Church Plain, Loddon, Norfolk, NR14 6EY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Loddon War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455991 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 00:48:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Holy Trinity Church, Church Plain, Loddon, Norfolk, NR14 6EY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Loddon
National Grid Reference:
TM3625698727

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Loddon War Memorial, which is situated in Holy Trinity Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but impressive granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of Holy Trinity and the Grade II-listed railings around the churchyard, as well as numerous Grade II-listed buildings around Church Plain.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Loddon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Loddon War Memorial, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was unveiled in 1921. The memorial commemorates 28 local people who fell in the First World War and 16 who fell in the Second World War.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: grey granite

DESCRIPTION: Loddon War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of Holy Trinity, Church Plain, Loddon, Norfolk. It is prominently situated by the western churchyard railings, overlooking the market place. It comprises a rough-hewn wheel head cross with Sword of Sacrifice in relief on the face, atop a curved plinth, which stands on a three-tiered granite base with a stone base below. A roundel towards the bottom of the shaft, and the plinth, bear the inscriptions in leaded lettering. The Second World War names are carried on an additional stone, set into the granite steps of the base.

The inscription is in leaded lettering and reads TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ LEST WE FORGET.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 March 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20120
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 March 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249451/
Other
Photograph of newly-unveiled war memorial, Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal, Saturday 2 July 1921, p12

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].