Memorial Bus Shelter


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
On south side of A353, Osmington, Weymouth, DT3 6EU


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455993.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 23:39:11.


Statutory Address:
On south side of A353, Osmington, Weymouth, DT3 6EU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


War memorial bus shelter, erected shortly after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The memorial bus shelter on the south side of the A353 in Osmington, which dates probably from the 1940s, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * an eloquent witness to the impact of world events on this community.

Architectural interest: * its use of materials, reflecting local vernacular building traditions of Purbeck stone and thatch, which complements its surroundings.

Group value: * with the Grade-II listed East Farmhouse and a K6 telephone box (unlisted).


A war memorial in the form of a thatched bus shelter was erected probably shortly after the Second World War, on the south side of the main road in the village of Osmington. It was built by Harry and Ethel Parry-Jones in memory of their son, David, a lieutenant in the 1st Battalion of The Rifle Brigade who died at the age of 20 on 3 August 1944 during the Battle of Normandy.


War memorial bus shelter, erected shortly after the Second World War.

MATERIALS It is constructed of cut and squared Purbeck stone rubble, brought to course, under a thatched roof.

DESCRIPTION The memorial takes the form of a shelter which is hexagonal on plan. It stands on a concrete base, with walls of local rubble stone and the thatched roof is hipped. There is a doorway to the front and four openings in the side walls. To the right of the doorway, set within a stone surround, is a small inset stone tablet which is inscribed in black lettering: IN MEMORY OF / DAVID PARRY-JONES / 1ST BT THE RIFLE BRIGADE / KILLED IN ACTION / IN FRANCE / 3RD AUGUST 1944. It also carries the insignia of the Rifle Brigade. The rear wall has no openings. Inside the shelter is a timber bench.


Imperial War Museums, D Parry Jones, accessed 27 March 2018 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].