Cart Shed at Kite Hill Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456052

Date first listed: 16-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: Kite Hill Farm, Kite Hill, Wootton Bridge, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 4LE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cart Shed at Kite Hill Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456052 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 09:10:31.

Location

Statutory Address: Kite Hill Farm, Kite Hill, Wootton Bridge, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 4LE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Fishbourne

National Grid Reference: SZ5499491907

Summary

A cartshed of late C18 date with some C20 refurbishing.

Reasons for Designation

The late-C18 cartshed at Kite Hill Farm buildings is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * a timber-framed cartshed clad with weatherboarding with a staggered purlin roof structure, that retains a significant proportion of original fabric.

Historic interest: * one of the components of an unusual survival of a farmstead comprising four late-C18 farm buildings and a farmhouse on the Isle of Wight.

Group value: * the cartshed has considerable group value with the barn, stable and granary, listed separately, and the former farmhouse, all listed at Grade II

History

Kite Hill Farm was originally owned by the Fleming estate, a large landed estate in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight between 1599 and the 1950s. A building is shown in this location on the 1793-1794 unpublished Mudge Ordnance Survey drawings. A cluster of buildings in this position is shown on the published 1810 First Edition one-inch Ordnance Survey map.

The cart shed is one of a group of farm buildings at 'Kitehill' Farm shown on the 1864 25'' Ordnance Survey map. Its footprint has not changed on subsequent editions.

The farm passed into private ownership in 1960 and the farmhouse, listed in 1950, was separately sold off in the later C20. The cartshed has evidence of later repair in the C20 when the western bay was reconstructed.

Details

A cartshed of late C18 date with some C20 refurbishing.

MATERIALS: timber-framed clad in weatherboarding on a brick plinth. Tiled roof.

PLAN: a four-bay cart shed, originally open-fronted but two bays are now enclosed.

EXTERIOR: on the north-west side, the two northern bays are open-fronted and supported on wooden posts with bolted knees supported on stone pad stones. The other bays have been closed in and have plank doors with pintle hinges.

INTERIOR: a later plank partition now divides off the two western bays. The roof structure has two tiers of staggered purlins and collar beams. The western bay was reconstructed in the C20.

Sources

None.

End of official listing