Taverham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456088

Date first listed: 18-Jun-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Edmund, Taverham Lane, Taverham, Norfolk, NR8 6SY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Taverham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456088 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 02:08:14.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Edmund, Taverham Lane, Taverham, Norfolk, NR8 6SY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Taverham

National Grid Reference: TG1606413811

Summary

First World War memorial, erected around 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Taverham War Memorial, which is situated in St Edmund's Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a simple but well-executed granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Edmund.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Taverham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Taverham, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was presumably erected, around 1920. The memorial commemorates seven local servicemen who fell in the First World War and four men who fell in the Second World War.

Details

First World War memorial, erected around 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: grey granite

DESCRIPTION: Taverham War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Edmund's Church, Taverham Lane, Taverham, Norfolk. It is prominently situated to the left of the church porch on the south side of the building. It comprises a 1.8m tall rough-hewn Latin cross on a plinth with a single-stepped base. There is a dedication on the cross bar of the cross and First World War inscriptions are on the face of the plinth. The Second World War inscriptions are on the granite step forming the base.

The inscription is incised and blacked and reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO/ FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 3 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19751
War Memorials Online, accessed 3 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/214165/

End of official listing