Tilney All Saints War Memorial Cross

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1456188
Date first listed:
08-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
The churchyard, All Saints Church, Church Road, Tilney All Saints, Norfolk, PE34 4SJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Tilney All Saints War Memorial Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456188 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 01:44:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
The churchyard, All Saints Church, Church Road, Tilney All Saints, Norfolk, PE34 4SJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Tilney All Saints
National Grid Reference:
TF5681817965

Summary

First World War memorial cross with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Tilney All Saints War Memorial Cross, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a tall and elegant war memorial cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of All Saints (Grade I), numerous Grade II-listed churchyard monuments, and nearby Grade II-listed buildings including All Saints House and the Barn abutting All Saints House.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Tilney All Saints as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 13 members of the local community who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War the names of three men who died in that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

The tall stone war memorial cross stands in front of the south wall of the tower of the Church of All Saints (Grade I-listed). It is in close proximity to numerous Grade II-listed buildings and churchyard monuments. The memorial takes the form of a stone wheel-head cross fleury rising from the collar of a slender cross shaft, octagonal in section. A shield is carved on the front face of the collar, bearing the monogram IHS. The cross shaft stands on a small shouldered pedestal, square on plan, that stands on a two-step octagonal plinth. Slate panels are inset into the sides of the pedestal.

The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the pedestal reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO WENT OUT FROM/ THIS PARISH/ AND LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES FOR US. Commemorated names are listed on one side of the pedestal under the dates 1914 – 1918, whilst the three Second World War names are listed on another side under the dates 1939 – 1945.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/163108/
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 April 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/56462

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].