Lowdham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456226

Date first listed: 24-Jul-2018

Statutory Address: c60m south of 2, Southwell Road, Garden of Remembrance, Junction of Station Road and Nottingham Road, Lowdham, Nottingham, NG14 7AL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lowdham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456226 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:50:09.

Location

Statutory Address: c60m south of 2, Southwell Road, Garden of Remembrance, Junction of Station Road and Nottingham Road, Lowdham, Nottingham, NG14 7AL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)

Parish: Lowdham

National Grid Reference: SK6711946184

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled 13 April 1921, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Lowdham War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Station Road and Nottingham Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a striking war memorial obelisk in the Classical style.

Group value:

* with 2, Southwell Road and Merevale (both Grade II-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Lowdham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled by Colonel W Warwick on 13 April 1921 and dedicated by the Bishop of Southwell. It originally recorded the names of 59 servicemen from the villages of Lowdham, Gunthorpe and Caythorpe, with a further four names added at a later date. Following the Second World War, the dates of the conflict and the names of four casualties were added to the memorial.

A polished black stone tablet was later affixed to the east face of the plinth bearing a copy of the names inscribed on the memorial. An additional name was included with the Second World War names, bringing the total number of casualties recorded for that conflict to five.

Details

Lowdham War Memorial is located within a garden of remembrance at the eastern corner of a triangular green at the junction of Nottingham Road with Station Road. It is opposite 2, Southwell Road and Merevale (both Grade II-listed).

It takes the form of a stone obelisk, square on plan, with carved bands and moulding towards the base and terminating in a square foot. This rises from a tall, four-sided plinth with projecting faces to the north and south sides. The plinth surmounts a single-stepped base upon a narrow, square platform. Small bronze roundels ornament either side of the obelisk foot.

Incised to the east face of the obelisk is the date, AD/ 1914. Below, incised to the foot of the obelisk, are the words OUR/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD. The original lists of the First World War names are recorded in incised lettering to the projecting faces of the north and south sides of the plinth; 29 to the south face and 33 to the north face. To the east face of the base is the original Second World War dedication, which reads 1939 – 1945/ (4 NAMES). Small metal hooks in the base facilitate the hanging of wreaths and floral tributes.

The complete list of 62 First World War names is recorded in incised lettering, painted gold, on a polished black granite tablet underneath the dates 1914 -1918. On the same tablet, underneath the First World War names, are the dates 1939-1945 followed by the names of the five servicemen who died in the Second World War. This tablet is a later addition to the memorial.

Sources

Websites
‘Lowdham – Obelisk’, Roll of Honour, Nottinghamshire County Council, accessed 27 March 2018 from http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/WarMemorials/Details/109
‘Lowdham St Mary War Memorial’, Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project, accessed 27 March 2018 from http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/lowdham/hwarmem.php
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 March 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27230
War Memrials Online, accessed 27 March 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/133861/
Other
‘Lowdham’s Memorial’, Nottingham Journal and Express, 14 April 1921, p 8

End of official listing