Wimbotsham and Stow Bardolph War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456865

Date first listed: 24-Jul-2018

Statutory Address: c30m north-east of Wimbotsham and Stow Community School, The green, Church Road, Wimbotsham, Norfolk, PE34 3QG

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wimbotsham and Stow Bardolph War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 02:14:17.

Location

Statutory Address: c30m north-east of Wimbotsham and Stow Community School, The green, Church Road, Wimbotsham, Norfolk, PE34 3QG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Wimbotsham

National Grid Reference: TF6197605129

Summary

First World War memorial cross, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Wimbotsham and Stow Bardolph War Memorial, which stands c30m north-east of Wimbotsham and Stow Community School, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a simple yet poignant granite memorial cross, in the Celtic style.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Wimbotsham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 18 members of the local community who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War, the names of three local servicemen who died in that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

The grey granite memorial cross is located on the green at the west end of Church Road. Standing in a small railed enclosure, it comprises a rough-hewn wheel-head cross with a sword of sacrifice carved in relief on its face, standing on a tapering plinth with single-stepped base. The lower part of the shaft and the plinth carry the First World War inscriptions in applied metal lettering, whilst the base bears the Second World War addition.

The inscription, beginning on the front face of the cross shaft, reads GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ SACRED TO THE/ MEMORY OF THE/ GALLANT FALLEN/ FROM/ WIMBOTSHAM AND/ STOW BARDOLPH E. The commemorated First World War names are listed in two columns to the front face of the plinth. The later Second World War inscription is recorded on the step below, reading WORLD WAR – 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 May 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/252779/

End of official listing