Langley War Memorial, Slough

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456878

Date first listed: 07-Jun-2018

Statutory Address: Langley Memorial Park, Langley Road, Langley, Slough, SL3 8LS

Map

Ordnance survey map of Langley War Memorial, Slough
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 07:55:23.

Location

Statutory Address: Langley Memorial Park, Langley Road, Langley, Slough, SL3 8LS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Slough (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ0117879331

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with additions for later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

Langley War Memorial, located in Langley Memorial Park, Slough, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a striking and well-executed Darley Dale stone Latin cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was unveiled at Langley on 30 October 1921 by the Marquis of Lincolnshire and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Buckingham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. 

It commemorates 88 local servicemen who died during the First World War. In 1999, 25 names were added for the fallen of the Second World War and one name from Northern Ireland.

The memorial was originally in the form of a Lantern cross. However following damage caused by a vehicle in 1980 it was rebuilt as a Latin cross, the shaft and cross head being replaced. In 1999 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust. At this time the memorial was also relocated to Langley Memorial Park.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with additions for later conflicts.

MATERIALS: Darley Dale stone.

DESCRIPTION: Langley’s war memorial is located within Langley Memorial Park, Station Road, Langley.

It consists of a Latin cross made of Darley Dale stone on top of an octagonal shaft which rises from a two-stepped octagonal plinth. The plinth is set upon a two-stepped octagonal base.

The front face of the bottom tier of the plinth is incised with the dedication in ornate lettering: THIS MEMORIAL WAS/ ERECTED AND THE/ ADJOINING FIELD/ ACQUIRED IN MEMORY/ OF LANGLEY MEN WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The other faces are incised with the names of the fallen from the First World War.

The top section of the plinth is incised with the dedication: IN/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO/ GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE/ SECOND/ WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945. The other faces list the names of the fallen from that conflict and one face reads: IN NORTHERN IRELAND/ (NAME).

Sources

Websites
Langley War Memorial, Buckinghamshire Remembers, accessed 28 March 2017 from http://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/gateway.php?page=343
Other
‘Langley War Memorial’, Bucks Herald, (5 November 1921), 2

End of official listing