Little Waltham War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Street, Junction of Winckford Close, Little Waltham, Chelmsford, CM3 3NU


Ordnance survey map of Little Waltham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 04:23:12.


Statutory Address:
The Street, Junction of Winckford Close, Little Waltham, Chelmsford, CM3 3NU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Chelmsford (District Authority)
Little Waltham
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Little Waltham War Memorial, which is located on The Street in Little Waltham, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but elegant granite wheel-head cross.

Group value:

* with 36-40 The Street and 42 The Street (both Grade II).


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was unveiled at Little Waltham on 21 May 1922 by Brigadier-General J T Wigan and dedicated by the Rev Canon O W Tancock as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. 

A committee was formed in 1919 to raise funds to build the memorial and the land for the memorial was given by Mr W Campen. It commemorates 22 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War, seven names were added for the fallen of that conflict, including two women who were killed in a bombing raid on a local munitions factory.

In 2017 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid administered by War Memorials Trust.


First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite with lead lettering.

DESCRIPTION: Little Waltham War Memorial is located on The Street, Little Waltham. The memorial plot, which is bordered by soft landscaping to the sides and rear, is located at the edge of a wider green running alongside the River Chelmer.

The memorial comprises a wheel-head cross made of granite on a tapering shaft which rises from a plinth. The plinth is set upon a square base.

The front face of the plinth has a recessed panel which contains the dedication LITTLE WALTHAM./ TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THESE MEN/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919 and lists the names of the fallen from that conflict. The left face of the plinth has a recessed panel with the dedication ALSO/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN/ AND WOMEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ WAR OF 1939 – 1945 and lists the names of those who died during that conflict.


War Memorial Register, accessed 4 May 2017 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 4 May 2017 from
War Memorials Trust, accessed 4 May 2017 from
‘Little Waltham’, Essex Newsman, (27 May 1922), 4
‘War Memorial at Little Waltham’, Chelmsford Chronicle, (26 May 1922), 5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].