Haverthwaite War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1457206

Date first listed: 10-Jul-2018

Statutory Address: Haverthwaite Cemetery, Junction of Old Barrow Road with Levis Garth, Haverthwaite, Cumbria, LA12 8AJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Haverthwaite War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457206 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 01:48:39.

Location

Statutory Address: Haverthwaite Cemetery, Junction of Old Barrow Road with Levis Garth, Haverthwaite, Cumbria, LA12 8AJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Haverthwaite

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SD3481384068

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Haverthwaite War Memorial, which is situated in Haverthwaite, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed limestone cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Anne.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Haverthwaite as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Haverthwaite War Memorial is situated within the village cemetery, at what was considered to be the entrance to the village. 74 local people had served and returned from the First World War, but 15 had died. The memorial commemorates those 15 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, and 11 men who later fell in the Second World War. The memorial was designed by architect Dean John Brundrit, and made by Mr Thoms of Lancaster. The memorial had cost £160. It was then unveiled (but not dedicated) during a multi-faith service on 27 June 1920. Two extra names were added later in 1920.

Following the Second World War, £50 was spent to add the new casualty names, and the memorial was unveiled and dedicated by Canon S Taylor of Burneside on 15 June 1947.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: limestone.

DESCRIPTION: Haverthwaite War Memorial is located in Haverthwaite Cemetery, at the junction Old Barrow Road with Levis Garth, Haverthwaite, Cumbria. It is prominently situated by the churchyard wall and path leading to the church. It comprises a plain Latin limestone cross on a plinth with three-stepped base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised lettering.

The inscription reads: IN MEMORY OF ALL THOSE/ FROM THE PARISH OF/ HAVERTHWAITE WHO/ SERVED IN THE GREAT/ WAR 1914 – 1919 AND/ ESPECIALLY OF THOSE/ WHOSE NAMES ARE/ INSCRIBED HERE AND/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE// (NAMES)// 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4129

End of official listing