Cartmel War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457219
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary's Priory Church, Priory Close, Cartmel, Cumbria, LA11 6QQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cartmel War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 13:06:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St Mary's Priory Church, Priory Close, Cartmel, Cumbria, LA11 6QQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Lower Allithwaite
National Grid Reference:
SD3795378782

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Cartmel War Memorial, which is located in the churchyard of St Mary’s Priory Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and accomplished sandstone Celtic cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary and the Grade II-listed Priory House, the Grade II-listed The Larch Tree Ye Priory Shoppe and numerous listed buildings around Priory Close, as well as numerous listed monuments in the churchyard.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Cartmel as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Cartmel War Memorial was situated within the priory churchyard. The memorial commemorates 16 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and three men who fell in the Second World War. The memorial was probably designed by Curwen of Kendal and it was unveiled on 5 September 1920 by Lord Richard Cavendish of Holker Hall and dedicated by Archdeacon Lafone.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: Cartmel War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Mary’s Priory Church, Priory Close, Cartmel, Cumbria. It is prominently situated near the churchyard entrance and close to the south porch entrance to the priory. It comprises a Celtic sandstone cross with strap work carving to head and upper shaft, on a low four-sided plinth and two-stepped square base. The plinth bears the dedication in relief-carved lettering and the shaft bears the names, also in relief lettering.

The inscription reads: (NAMES)/ 1914 – 1919/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945// TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4112
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/159546/
Other
Cartmel, Memorial Cross, Westmorland Gazette, 11 Sept 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].