Cartmel Fell War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457220
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Anthony, Cartmel Fell, Cumbria, LA11 6NQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cartmel Fell War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457220 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 17:02:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Anthony, Cartmel Fell, Cumbria, LA11 6NQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Cartmel Fell
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SD4165288036

Summary

First World War memorial, 1924, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Cartmel Fell War Memorial, which is situated in St Anthony’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed slate monolith.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Anthony and the Grade II-listed Base of Sundial in the churchyard.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Cartmel Fell as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Cartmel Fell War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 11 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and two men who fell in the Second World War. It was designed by architect J F Curwen, of Kendal and Heversham, in conjunction with the lych gate which also formed part of the memorial scheme. They were unveiled in April 1924.

Details

First World War memorial, 1924.

DESCRIPTION: Cartmel Fell War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Anthony’s Church, Cartmel Fell, Cumbria. It is prominently situated just inside the churchyard entrance, near to the lych gate and close to the paths leading to the church. It comprises a local slate monolith with flat front and back faces and rough-hewn sides, on a two-tiered square base of rubble and slab construction. The front face bears the inscriptions, and includes a relief-carved wreath with ribbons bearing relief-carved dates of the First World War.

The inscription is in incised lettering and reads: 1914 1918/ THIS STONE & LYCH GATE/ WERE ERECTED TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE OFFICERS AND MEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES) LEST WE FORGET/ ALSO/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
After the Conflict: Cumbrian War Memorials,17 March 2009, Cartmel Fell, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://cumbrianwarmemorials.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/cartmel-fell.html
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8981
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/176281/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].