Granary 7m north-west of East Blagdon Farmhouse

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1457302

Date first listed: 14-Jun-2018

Location Description:

Statutory Address: East Blagdon Farm, Cranborne, Wimborne, BH21 5RZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Granary 7m north-west of East Blagdon Farmhouse
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 09:01:26.

Location

Statutory Address: East Blagdon Farm, Cranborne, Wimborne, BH21 5RZ

Location Description:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Cranborne

National Grid Reference: SU0544517367

Summary

Granary, dating probably to the late C18 or early C19, with minor alterations.

Reasons for Designation

The granary 7m north-west of East Blagdon Farmhouse which dates from the late C18 or early C19 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as a good example of a small two-bay granary, unusually raised on brick arches; * it is substantially intact, retaining its form and a significant proportion of historic fabric.

History

East Blagdon, formerly Blagdon, Farm is situated in an isolated position within a particularly rural area with scattered villages and no large settlements. It stands within part of a former deer park, Blagdon Park, which is referenced in documents from the C14 and was disparked in the mid-C16; a house is shown within the park on a map of 1618, though not on a map of 1645. By the 1780s Blagdon, which formed part of the Boveridge Park estate, was sold to Henry Brouncker. East Blagdon Farm was occupied by tenant farmers throughout the C19 and up to the mid-C20. In 1957 ownership was transferred to Thalia Gordon-Watson by her father.

The granary is a small detached building to the north-west of the farmhouse, which dates originally from the late C18 and was substantially extended and refurbished during the C19. The granary itself dates probably to the late C18 or early C19. It has undergone some minor alteration to its exterior, with the infilling of some of the arched openings around its base and the later windows.

Details

Granary, dating probably to the late C18 or early C19, with minor alterations.

MATERIALS It is constructed of brick with a half-hipped, plain tiled roof.

PLAN The building has a rectangular plan.

EXTERIOR The structure is raised on three segmental-arched openings (some infilled) at ground level on all four sides. Set high in the west elevation is a later timber entrance door under a segmental-arched, brick head. The right return has two inserted windows in flat-arched openings, and the west and rendered south elevations have no openings. The granary has a raised ground floor which is supported by a sill beam and an axial beam; these are carried respectively on brick piers and two staddle stones underneath the building.

INTERIOR The interior was not inspected (2018), but is understood to contain two floors and a collared roof truss which is mortised and pegged.

Sources

None.

End of official listing