Horley War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457672
Date first listed:
06-Sep-2018
Location Description:
Junction of Brighton Road and Vicarage Lane
Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Horley Recreation Ground, Brighton Road, Horley, Surrey, RH6 8AR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Horley War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:11:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Horley Recreation Ground, Brighton Road, Horley, Surrey, RH6 8AR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Junction of Brighton Road and Vicarage Lane
County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
Parish:
Horley
National Grid Reference:
TQ2799343341

Summary

A First World War memorial of 1922, with alterations to accommodate the addition of names from the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Horley War Memorial, which stands in the Horley Memorial Garden, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:   Historic interest:   *     as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.   Architectural interest:   *     an impressive stone monument constructed from good quality materials.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised in Horley, Surrey, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by the stone masons C E Ebbutt & Sons of Croydon, and unveiled on 3 March 1922.

It commemorates the 122 local servicemen who died during the conflict, including Henry Webber who fell in July 1916 from a shrapnel wound. Webber persistently applied to join up alongside his four sons, who all survived the war. He was one of the oldest serving combatants in the First World War, having gained a commission in May 1916 at the age of 67. The memorial also commemorates Lieutenant-Commander G White who was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross after being killed in action on the bridge of Submarine E14, in the Dardanelles. His submarine was badly damaged by gunfire, yet White steered it to shore to save his crew. He died on 28 January 1918, and his body was never recovered.

After the Second World War, the base of the monument was altered to accommodate further commemorative text, and the names of the 46 local servicemen who fell in this later conflict. In addition, stone steps terminated by a short granite plinth, were added to either side of the monument, and the crazy paving slightly raised to the rear.

Around 1953, the area around the war memorial was landscaped as a memorial garden.

Details

A First World War memorial of 1922, with alterations to accommodate the addition of names from the Second World War.   MATERIALS: polished granite, with stone steps and crazy paving.   DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is formed of a stepped octagonal base, a rectangular plinth and tall shaft surmounted by a Celtic cross. Metal letters attached to the granite surface are used throughout.   The plinth flares gently at the base, and the front face has a wreath carved in relief. It also carries the commemorative text TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN HONOUR / OF THE MEN OF HORLEY / WHO MADE / THE SUPREME SACRIFICE / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918 / THEIR NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE. The names of the First World War fallen are recorded on the other faces of the plinth, and the middle step. The top step has the text THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD, AS WE THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD/ AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM, NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN;/ AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

The lowest step is divided by three smaller plinths and carries the names of the local servicemen who died in the Second World War, along with the text AND / TO THE MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE WORLD WAR / 1939-1945 FOR THEIR HONOUR / AND / OUR REMEMBRANCE.

The shaft of the monument is formed of two sections, divided by a horizontal moulding. The lower half has four flower blooms carved in relief, and contained within a vertical panel. The upper section has vertical sword, also in relief. The shaft gently tapers towards the top and is surmounted by a stripped-back Celtic cross.   The monument stands on an octagonal area of crazy paving, which is slightly higher to the rear. To either side there are two stone steps, terminated by a short granite plinth.   There is a memorial garden* laid out around the monument which includes a set of metal entrance gates, an access path, and a paved seating area. There is also a later area of crazy paving, which is lower than the original, and includes a brick retaining wall to the rear of the monument site. This landscape and its secondary structures are not included in the listing.   * Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.

Sources

Websites
Horley-War Memorials Online, accessed 15 June 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/131397/
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register reference 23682 in association with War Memorials Trust, accessed 15 June 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/23682

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].