West Lynn War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457777
Date first listed:
18-Mar-2019
Statutory Address:
St Peter's Churchyard, St Peter's Road, West Lynn, King's Lynn, PE34 3JX

Map

Ordnance survey map of West Lynn War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:15:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Peter's Churchyard, St Peter's Road, West Lynn, King's Lynn, PE34 3JX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TF6120019755

Summary

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

West Lynn War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the church of St Peter, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well executed decorated Latin cross in limestone.

Group value:

* with the grade II* listed Church of St Peter.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at West Lynn, as permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial at West Lynn, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was presumably erected around 1920. The memorial commemorates 25 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and four men who fell in the Second World War.

New plaques were affixed to the four faces of the memorial base between April 2008 and May 2010 following a request by the church for public views on how to make the names legible again.

Details

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: carved from Bath stone.

DESCRIPTION: West Lynn War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Peter’s Church, St Peter’s Road, West Lynn, Norfolk. It is prominently situated on the north side of the church, by the path leading to the church entrance. It comprises a Bath stone Latin cross of octagonal section, supported by a moulded table collar at the top of the tapering octagonal shaft with moulded foot, standing atop a square plinth and three-tiered octagonal base. Modern (around 2009) slate plaques added to each of the faces of the plinth.

The inscription was originally in incised lettering on the stone but has been replicated on incised plaques and reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN / OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 18 // (NAMES) // 1939 – 45 / (NAMES) //.

Sources

Websites
Information on war memorials from the War Memorials Online database, accessed 24 August 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/241947/
Lynn News (24 April 2007), ‘Restore or replace decision on memorial in West Lynn’ , accessed 24 August 2018 from https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-183346458.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].