St Tudy War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:

Statutory Address:
Church Road, St Tudy, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30 3NN


Ordnance survey map of St Tudy War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 10:06:04.


Statutory Address:
Church Road, St Tudy, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30 3NN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Tudy
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, built 1920; altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

St Tudy War Memorial is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a well-executed Celtic wheel-head cross in local materials.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Uda, and the many Grade II-listed buildings in the vicinity.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at St Tudy, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 13 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial was funded by public subscription and was erected in January 1920. It was dedicated on Sunday 25 January 1920 by the Bishop of Truro, Reverend Dr Guy Warman. The granite was probably quarried from nearby De Lank.

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the five men who fell in that conflict.


First World War memorial, built 1920; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on a grass bank at the edge of the churchyard connected to the Grade I-listed Parish Church of St Uda, facing the village square, with granite steps up to it from the road. The memorial is a wheel-head Celtic cross with carved ‘triqueta’ knotwork to the head on the front and back. It stands on a tapering shaft above a stepped and tapering plinth and a two-stepped base. The platform has a short granite post at each corner. The principal face (north east) of the plinth has inscribed in lead lettering: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF / THE MEN OF ST TUDY / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / “THE DEAD SHALL HEAR THE VOICE OF THE SON OF GOD”. Below this, on the top step of the base, is inscribed “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, / THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS” / “YE THAT LIVE ON ‘MID ENGLISH PASTURES GREEN, / REMEMBER US AND THINK WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN”. The names of the fallen are inscribed on the principal face of the memorial’s shaft. The names of those who fell in the Second World War are inscribed on the bottom step of the base under the dates 1935 – 1945.


Imperial War Museums War Memorials Register – St Tudy , accessed 06/06/2018 from
War Memorials Online Database – St Tudy , accessed 06/06/2018 from
St Tudy Church guidebook


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].