Memorial Water Trough

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457855
Date first listed:
12-Jul-2018
Statutory Address:
about 12m north-west of Council Offices,, 39 Penwinnick Road, St Austell, PL25 5DR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Memorial Water Trough
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 21:13:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
about 12m north-west of Council Offices,, 39 Penwinnick Road, St Austell, PL25 5DR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Austell
National Grid Reference:
SX0096151973

Summary

An animal drinking trough, formerly part of a war memorial commemorating Captain Thomas Agar-Robartes; unveiled in 1922 and re-located to its current location in 1998.

Reasons for Designation

The animal drinking trough outside the council offices on Penwinnick Road, St Austell, formerly part of a war memorial of 1922 and re-located to its current location in 1998, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed, urban example of this type of street furniture which has a distinctive design quality.

Historic interest:

* as an interesting reminder of the former presence of animals in everyday life, a presence which has now virtually disappeared; * since it was originally part of a memorial to a Member of Parliament who died during the First World War, this commemorative purpose gives it added historic interest.

History

A memorial, in the form of this animal drinking trough and a bench, were unveiled in November 1922, to the memory of Captain Agar-Robartes who had been killed in battle in 1915.

Thomas Agar-Robartes was the eldest son of the 6th Viscount Clifden of Lanhydrock House, Bodmin. He became a Member of Parliament in 1906 when he was elected to serve the seat of Bodmin. In 1908 he was elected for St Austell, and he held that seat until his death in 1915.

Agar-Robartes was a captain in the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards and was injured in the Battle of Loos on the 18 September 1915. On the 30 September, he was killed while rescuing a wounded comrade. For this, he was recommended for the Victoria Cross. The stone water trough and the bench were one of a number of memorials erected in his memory and were subscribed for by members of the House of Lords and the House of Commons. These two structures were erected on the corner of Park Road and Truro Road, adjacent to the Recreation Ground and were unveiled in November 1922 by the Lord-Lieutenant of Cornwall. The water trough originally stood on the paving in front of the bench, but was moved to its current location in front of the council offices on Penwinnick Road in 1998 due to concerns of damage owing to its proximity to the road. The bench was listed at Grade II in July 2017.

Details

An animal drinking trough, formerly part of a war memorial commemorating Captain Thomas Agar-Robartes; unveiled in 1922 and re-sited to its current location in 1998.

DESCRIPTION: a granite animal drinking trough in the form of a classical sarcophagus, set on a chamfered plinth with canted corners. The body of the trough has incised scrollwork and carvings of lion heads in bas relief; the lip has a dentilled cornice. The trough stands on a raised surface of late-C20 granite setts. In front of the trough is a fixed bronze plaque which records that it formed part of the memorial to Captain the Hon. Agar-Robartes and was re-sited here in 1998; it also records the text from the plaque on the memorial bench with which it was formerly associated.

Sources

Other
The Illustrated London News, Nov 11, 1922
Western Morning News, 4 November 1922

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].