Cumdivock War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457978
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St John, Greensyke Lane, Cumdivock, Cumbria, CA5 7JQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cumdivock War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457978.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 15:59:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St John, Greensyke Lane, Cumdivock, Cumbria, CA5 7JQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Dalston
National Grid Reference:
NY3384048763

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Cumdivock War Memorial, which is situated in St John’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an unusual but well-executed sandstone, oak and copper cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Cumdivock as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Cumdivock War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates four local servicemen who fell in the First World War and three men who fell in the Second World War. The memorial was a gift from the Salkeld family who lived at Holm Hill in the parish. It was unveiled on the 24 October 1919 by Major Carleton Salkeld and dedicated by the Reverend G L Hall.

In approximately 1960 the wooden cross at the top of the oak shaft broke off and was replaced by a simple copper cross, manufactured by James Bendall of Carlisle. On the 11 November 1995 the names of those who died in the Second World War were added and dedicated, these names being carved into the stonework on the south face of the pedestal.

In 2003 the carved oak shaft was replaced because the original was rotten. The new carved oak shaft was an exact copy made from English oak by Mr Barry Porter of Pardshaw; the copper cross was reinstated on the top of the carved shaft. In 2014 the stone plinth and pedestal was restored by Askins and Little Carlisle.

Details

First World War memorial, 1919.

MATERIALS: copper, oak and sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: Cumdivock War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St John’s Church, Cumdivock, Cumbria. It is prominently situated in the west end of the churchyard, close to the churchyard wall at the corner of the road, and visible to passers-by. It comprises a plain Latin cross of copper tubing, surmounting an octagonal oak shaft with a carved capital bearing four shield designs. It is set upon an octagonal sandstone plinth with a sloping cap, and inset with a slate inscription panel, on a three-tiered octagonal stone base.

The inscription is in incised lettering and reads: TO THE GLORY/ OF GOD AND IN/ COMMEMORATION/ OF THE MEN/ OF THIS TOWNSHIP/ WHO LAID DOWN/ THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4281
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/182372/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].