Houghton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1457983

Date first listed: 03-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St John, Brunstock Lane, Houghton, Cumbria, CA3 0NW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Houghton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:29:51.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St John, Brunstock Lane, Houghton, Cumbria, CA3 0NW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle (District Authority)

Parish: Stanwix Rural

National Grid Reference: NY4084559792

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922.

Reasons for Designation

Houghton War Memorial, which is situated in St John’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St John and the Grade II-listed The Lodge.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Houghton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Houghton War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 32 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. It was made by the prolific monumental masons of Carlisle, Messrs Beattie and Co. The memorial was unveiled in April 1922.

Details

First World War memorial, 1922.

MATERIALS: grey granite.

DESCRIPTION: Houghton War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St John’s Church, Brunstock Lane, Houghton, Cumbria. It is prominently situated close to the churchyard entrance and by the path leading to the church entrance. It comprises a wheel-head grey granite cross with a sheathed sword in relief at the head, on a short shaft, two-tiered plinth and two-stepped base. The plinth and upper step of the base bear the inscriptions in relief and incised lettering.

The inscription reads: 1914 – 1918/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Sources

Websites
The Royal British Legion, Carlisle and Stanwix Branch , accessed 2 April 2018 from http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/carlisle/ww1-heroes-walk-of-honour/memorial-52-st-johns-church-yard-houghton-war-memorial
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4304
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/177571/

End of official listing