Park Cottage

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458032
Date first listed:
05-Jul-2018
Statutory Address:
Catsole Hill, Goodnestone, Canterbury, CT3 1QF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Park Cottage
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458032 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 19:53:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
Catsole Hill, Goodnestone, Canterbury, CT3 1QF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Goodnestone
National Grid Reference:
TR2571654738, TR2572554745

Summary

An estate cottage, of C18 origin, extended by 1872.

Reasons for Designation

Park Cottage, an C18 brick estate cottage, with an early or mid-C19 L-wing, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a C18 Goodnestone Park estate cottage with typical moulded brick 'Dering' windows and moulded brick chimneystacks, retaining a significant proportion of original fabric; * for the survival of interior features and fittings including the spine beam, good quality moulded wooden fire surrounds and cupboard doors.

Group value:

* it is part of a group with a number of listed buildings, including estate cottages along The Street, Goodnestone Park, and its associated structures.

History

A building is shown in this position on the Mudge 1801 map of Goodnestone. The date 1814 is reported to be chalked on a roof beam in the loft space.

The cottage appears with its current footprint on the 1872 25'' Ordnance Survey sheet and on this and the Second Edition of 1897 the entrance is shown on the north side facing Catsole Hill. Also on the Second Edition sheet an outbuilding to the south-west of the cottage and a well are shown. By the 1907 Third Edition the well no longer appears.

Details

An estate cottage, of C18 origin, extended by 1872.

MATERIALS: red brick in Flemish bond, part rendered, with a gabled slate roof and moulded brick chimneystacks. Windows are the characteristic estate 'Dering' windows with moulded brick surrounds and hood moulds and round-headed leaded lights.

PLAN: an L-shaped cottage, the main range of two storeys and three bays probably the earliest part, the single bay wing now containing the entrance and staircase and a lean-to in the angle of the 'L'.

EXTERIOR: the south-east elevation facing Goodnestone Park has three two-light windows on each floor. Disturbance to the brickwork below the central ground floor window suggests that there may have been an entrance here formerly.

The north-west elevation has to the east the gable end of the main range, which has a partly projecting brick chimneystack, crow-stepped towards the top and a moulded chimneystack. The L-wing to the west is set back with a two-light window on each floor and a C19 round-headed entrance with impost blocks and a studded door in a four-centred arch.

The north-east elevation has the return of the L-wing, which has a single light window and a rendered lean-to with an entrance with a plank door.

The south-west elevation has the rendered gable to the main range.

INTERIOR: the ground floor of the main range has a central spine beam, partly exposed, and some old floorboards. The larger room has a wide, moulded wooden fire surround with a moulded shelf and the smaller room has a narrower wooden fire surround with a flat shelf.

A C19 dogleg staircase in the wing, with stick balusters and moulded column newels, leads to the upper floor. There are more original wooden fire surrounds on this floor, one room also retaining two cupboards flanking the chimney with ledged plank doors.

SUBSIDIARY BUILDING: to the south-west of the cottage is a later C19 outbuilding in similar style to the cottage. It is a single storey brick outbuilding in Flemish bond with a slate roof with end gables with large stepped kneelers. The south-east, gable-end side is partly open-fronted. The south-west side has a small window opening.

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].