Wavendon War Memorial Cross

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458148

Date first listed: 08-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: The churchyard, Church of St Mary, Walton Road, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, MK17 8LW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wavendon War Memorial Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:14:47.

Location

Statutory Address: The churchyard, Church of St Mary, Walton Road, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, MK17 8LW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wavendon

National Grid Reference: SP9118837193

Summary

First World War memorial cross, unveiled 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Wavendon War Memorial Cross, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a simple yet poignant granite memorial cross, in the Celtic style.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary (Grade II*-listed).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Wavendon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 17 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. A “substantial yet pleasing design” costed at £100 was submitted to, and approved by, a Parish Meeting in May 1919. The meeting also agreed the site in the grounds of the parish church. The memorial was unveiled on 30 November 1919 by Mrs Waudby. Following the Second World War the names of eight local servicemen who died in that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

The Cornish granite cross stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (Grade II*-listed), overlooking Walton Road. It comprises a rough-hewn wheel-head cross carrying a bronze sword on the front face. The cross-shaft stands on a rough-hewn tapered pedestal. The pedestal has been raised to allow a block of polished granite to be inserted underneath, standing on the original base step below.

The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the pedestal reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF (17 NAMES)/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918. Below, the later inscription reads ALSO/ (8 NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE WAR 1939 – 1945.

The cross is enclosed by four low concrete posts carrying spiked chains.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 29 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/231365/
War Memorials Register, accessed 29 April 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8239

End of official listing