War memorial in the churchyard of the Church of Emmanuel, Leyton

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458406
Date first listed:
26-Sep-2018
Location Description:
The memorial is located in the small garden to the south of the church, adjacent to Lea Bridge Road
Statutory Address:
Emmanuel Parish Church Leyton, Corner of Lea Bridge Road and Hitcham Road, London, E10 7NH

Map

Ordnance survey map of War memorial in the churchyard of the Church of Emmanuel, Leyton
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2019 at 10:44:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
Emmanuel Parish Church Leyton, Corner of Lea Bridge Road and Hitcham Road, London, E10 7NH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
The memorial is located in the small garden to the south of the church, adjacent to Lea Bridge Road
County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Waltham Forest (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3669687412

Summary

A stone First World War memorial, of 1922.

Reasons for Designation

The War Memorial in the churchyard of the Church of Emmanuel, Leyton, of 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:   Historic interest:   *    as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War.   Architectural interest:   *    a modest but poignant war memorial, formed of good quality materials.   Group value:   *    with the Church of Emmanuel (List entry 1065593), which is listed at Grade II.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Leyton in 1922, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The land on which it stands was donated by Sir Thomas Courtenay Theydon Warner (1857-1934), who was the first Mayor of the Borough of Walthamstow. The sculptor was probably Judd Thomas & Co, who were monumental masons, and are recorded in 1910 as operating from 115 Holloway Road, Leyton.   In 1935, the Church of Emmanuel (National Heritage List for England reference 1065593, listed at Grade II) was built on the same site, necessitating a minor adjustment to the position of the monument.

Details

A stone First World War memorial, of 1922.   MATERIALS: buff polished-granite, and limestone.   DESCRIPTION: the war memorial faces south-east, and is located in the churchyard of the Church of Emmanuel. It stands on a square limestone base and is formed of a polished-granite plinth which is surmounted by a tall and slender, tapering spire. At the top of the spire there is a small limestone cross. The front and side faces of the plinth carry the inscribed names of the local combatants, who fell in the First World War. The front face also carries the inscription TO / THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / THE MEMORY / OF THOSE THAT FELL IN / THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918. The memorial also appears to bear the name of the stone masons: 'T JUDD & Co Sc', although the metal lettering has been removed and only the outline remains.

Sources

Books and journals
'The London Gazette' in The London Gazette, , Vol. 28400, (25 June 1909), 5391-2
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23/7/2018 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk
Other
Leyton Street Directory - 1910, p404

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].