Martlesham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458467

Date first listed: 12-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church St Mary the Virgin, Church Lane, Martlesham, Suffolk, IP12 4PQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Martlesham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 00:51:51.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church St Mary the Virgin, Church Lane, Martlesham, Suffolk, IP12 4PQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Martlesham

National Grid Reference: TM2620646917

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Martlesham War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a finely carved example of a granite Celtic cross type of war memorial.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary the Virgin (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Martlesham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was erected by Mr A C Stephenson. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 14 December 1919.

Details

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard, to the north-west of the Church of St Mary the Virgin (Grade II*). The memorial comprises a Celtic cross on a tapering plinth with a single-stepped base. It is carved from polished granite and stands approximately 2.1m high. At the centre of the cross is a raised circular boss and on the arms of the cross is relief-carved interlace.

The main inscription in leaded lettering on the plinth reads: TO THE HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF MARTLESHAM/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1918/ (12 NAMES).

On the back face of the plinth the 13 names of the servicemen who died in the Second World War are listed below the inscription which reads: ALSO OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE/ WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 25 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5524
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/229408

End of official listing